The Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC) is pleased to announce the availability of scholarships for PhD in Economics under the Japanese Grant Aid for Human Resource Development Scholarship funding for the academic year 2019 – 2020. The Scholarship is available to Citizens of the Kingdom of Bhutan.
The Project for Human Resource Development Scholarship by Japanese Grant Aid (JDS) was launched in the Kingdom of Bhutan in 2018.
Applications Deadline: September 28, 2018
Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD program.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded to do the study in the field of Economics in Japan.
Nationality: The Scholarship is available to Citizens of the Kingdom of Bhutan.
Number of Scholarships: The number of scholars to dispatch is 9 per year.
Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: The Scholarship is available to Citizens of the Kingdom of Bhutan.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Should be a Bhutanese;
- Have obtained a master’s degree in the field of economics in Japan.
- In case there is not any applicant who meets this requirement, it will be considered to open the field.
- Be the age of 45 or younger as of April 1st, 2019.
- (Born on/after April 2nd, 1973) d.
- Be a regular (permanent) government employee.
- Have served for twice the duration of the LTT (long-term training) to obtain the master’s degree.
- Have a recommendation from the supervisor of his/her current duty office. (Reference Letter should contain an evaluation of applicant’s performance at work and relevance of his/her research theme to his/her career.)
- Have a recommendation from the expected academic advisor(s) of the applying university.
- Not be currently engaging in a Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)’s Technical Cooperation Projects as the main counterpart.
- Not have already obtained a doctoral degree.
- Not be currently awarded or to be awarded a scholarship from other foreign donors.
- Have proficiency in English, sufficiently fluent for studying in Japan. TOEFL iBT 61 (ITP 500) / IELTS 5.5 or higher is preferable.
- Other criteria:
- In principle, enrol in the same graduate school of the university where he or she obtained a master’s degree in the field of economics since it is normally very difficult to obtain a doctoral degree within three (3) years. If it is not possible, applicants can select another university.
- Present a research proposal relevant to the economic development issues of the country.
- Be in good health both physically and mentally.
- Complete the course within, and not exceeding, three (3) years.
Entrance Requirements: Have proficiency in English, sufficiently fluent for studying in Japan. TOEFL iBT 61 (ITP 500) / IELTS 5.5 or higher is preferable.
How to Apply:
- 5 pm on September 20 (Thursday), 2018: Candidates should submit applications to the Parent Agency through the Working Agency.
- 5 pm on September 27 (Thursday), 2018: The Parent Agency to submit the applications to the RCSC.
- 4:30 pm on October 8 (Monday), 2018: RCSC to screen and shortlist the candidates and submit it to the JICE JDS Project Office. JICE will provide the candidates with Password to complete the application process
Note: Applications after the deadline shall not be accepted.