Harvard University is offering free online course on Quantum World. The Quantum World is ideal for graduate students refreshing on quantum mechanics before their qualifying exams.
The overall objective of this course is to learn the core of quantum mechanics, and program simulations in Python to apply quantum theory to chemistry. The course will start on June 1, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 26 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $199
Session: Course Starts on June 1, 2017
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
About This Course
This course is an introduction to quantum chemistry: the application of quantum theory to atoms, molecules, and materials. You’ll learn about wavefunctions, probability, special notations, and approximations that make quantum mechanics easier to apply. You’ll also learn how to use Python to program quantum-mechanical models of atoms and molecules.
HarvardX has partnered with DataCamp to create assignments in Python that allow students to program directly in a browser-based interface. You will not need to download any special software, but an up-to-date browser is recommended.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- The principles of quantum mechanics
- How quantum mechanics applies to chemistry
- How to simulate quantum mechanics in Python
Dr. Alán Aspuru-Guzik
Professor of Chemistry, Harvard University
Dr. Colin Fredericks
Senior Project Lead, HarvardX
College chemistry and calculus are required. Some programming experience is recommended.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)