Reef HQ Aquarium is inviting applications for curatorial internship positions to suitably qualified and motivated applicants in Australia. Interns must have a Bachelor’s degree in marine biology or a related discipline, or a minimum of three years experience in university-level science, particularly in biology and chemistry.
This is an unpaid internship position available for international students. Successful applicants acquire hands-on experience in areas of laboratory operations, water quality analysis, aquarium maintenance, animal nutrition and observation, general husbandry techniques, record keeping, quarantine and handling protocols.
A fine internship for applicants.
User Review( vote)
Reef HQ Aquarium offers curatorial internship positions to suitably qualified and motivated applicants. This six-month program is designed for individuals intending a technical or professional career in marine biology, aquaculture, or a closely related discipline. Skills acquired during these internships provide a distinct industry experience advantage to recent university graduates seeking such employment.
- Field of Internship: This six-month program is designed for individuals intending a professional technical career in aquariums, aquaculture, or closely related fields.
- Course Level: Internship
- Internship Provider: Reef HQ Aquarium
- An internship can be taken in Australia
Preference will be given to those applicants who fulfil the following criteria which are considered to be minimum requirements (please check before applying):
- Bachelor’s degree in marine biology or a related discipline, or a minimum of three years experience in university-level science, particularly in biology and chemistry
- Familiarity and understanding of water testing and laboratory procedures
- Experience in animal handling or husbandry
- PADI Rescue Diver SCUBA certification, or equivalent.
- Internship Open for International Students: Internship is available for international students.
- Is this paid internship? Successful applicants should also be in good physical condition, and be able to provide their own financial support, housing and transportation as it is an unpaid position, with no remuneration. Reef HQ Aquarium may be able to provide assistance with occupational training visas if needed for successful overseas applicants, depending on circumstance.
- Number of awards offered: Numbers not given
- Internship Duration: There are two intakes for internships annually, each being duration of 6 months:
- February / March
- August / September
How to Apply
How to Apply: To apply, you must provide the following:
- A formal cover letter which should include:
- Name, nationality and contact information
- University affiliation, detailing academic qualifications and notable program achievements
- Your motivation for applying for the Internship
- Availability, stating which is the preferred biannual intake period.
- A current resume outlining previous relevant professional experience. This should include three academic or professional references with their current contact information.
- An official letter of recommendation from a current faculty member or supervisor who is familiar with your internship related interests and skills.
- Familiarity with water testing and laboratory procedures is highly desirable.
- Interns are scheduled on the SCUBA dive roster on a regular weekly routine basis. To be included in the dive roster it is mandatory that a minimum of a PADI Rescue Diver, or equivalent, be held. Also a current commercial dive medical, First Aid and CPR / O2 qualifications are desirable but can be obtained at the commencement of the internship if not already held.
Internship Application Deadline: Closed