The cancer research team at the Center for Medical Genetics has an open position for a highly motivated researcher with expertise in bioinformatics and a keen interest in translational cancer research.
The Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
To be able to determine the proficiency of someone’s knowledge of Dutch or English, Ghent University uses the Common European Framework Reference for Foreign Languages. There are six foreign language proficiency levels and is a basis for the recognition of language qualifications.
- Applications Deadline: July 01, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Research fellowship in Bio-informatics: “Clinical implementation of genomics-based precision oncology pipelines”
- Scholarship Award: What we offer:
- A 2-year translational research position with an option to extend
- Participate in an exciting and rapidly evolving research area of clinically translational genomics
- Research team operating at international level and dedicated to improving survival of patients with cancer
- “State-of-the-art” technology and facilities (sequencing, single-cell sequencing and manipulation, bioinformatics, mouse and zebrafish modelling, molecular biology, etc)
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic and interdisciplinary academic research environment
- Embedded within top-research teams with a broad range of expertise
- Collaborate with and assist wet lab scientists in the design, analysis and interpretation of cancer genomics data
- Nationality: This fellowship is available for international students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Available for international students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
You will work in a multidisciplinary environment under the supervision of senior scientists in bioinformatics and molecular biology in the Center for Medical Genetics (cmgg.be) and within the broader framework of the Cancer Research Institute Ghent (crig.ugent.be) where you will implement and develop (new) algorithms for genomic analysis of tumors aiming at a more precise care for the patient.
- MSc with a specialization track in bioinformatics or equivalent through experience OR holder of a PhD degree in bioinformatics, (medical) biology, (bio-)engineering, computer science, or related fields, obtained in the last 5 years. Candidates with prior experience in (epi) genomics technologies and standard bioinformatics and statistical skills are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be team players able to help to organize multidisciplinary projects and have strong strategic analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-minded).
- Experience with the analysis of sequencing data, such as human whole exome/genome sequencing, (single cell) RNA-sequencing, including quality control, read mapping, variant detection, de novo assembly, SNP/indel calling, copy number and structural variation analysis, expression level analysis, etc is a plus.
- Solid experience with bioinformatics programming, databases and statistics for bioinformatics, including scripting (e.g. Perl, Python), R (incl. Bioconductor), UCSC Genome Browser, Ensembl API, etc, knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, etc) and web servers (Apache, etc) is strongly recommended.
- The basic insight of (cancer) biology and genomics.
- International experience (internships, short visits, etc) is appreciated.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; English language proficiency.
English Language Requirements: Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; English language proficiency.
How to Apply: Candidates can apply by sending their CV and letter of motivation to Annelies De Paepe (A.DePaepe-at-ugent.be) before June 30th, 2018.