The new SAAO Prize Scholarship is now available for all new South African students to work on a PhD project supervised by researchers at the SAAO.
Founded in 1820 and located in the leafy Southern suburbs of Cape Town, The South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) is the national centre for optical and infrared astronomy in South Africa. Its prime function is to conduct fundamental research in astronomy and astrophysics. It does so by providing a world-class facility to scientists.
- Applications Deadline: August 3, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded for PhD studies in optical or multi-wavelength astrophysics. Projects Offered:
- Probing galaxy evolution through the diffuse light in dense environments
Supervisors: Ros Skelton and Sarah Blyth (UCT)/Ilani Loubser (NWU): Project details
- Observational studies of Centaurs, interesting and transitional minor planets
Supervisor: Amanda Sickafoose: Project details
- Discovery and Characterization of Near-Earth Asteroids
Supervisors: Amanda Sickafoose and Nicolas Erasmus: Project details
- Optical and radio transient sources
Supervisors: Retha Pretorius, David Buckley, and Alida Odendaal: Project details.
- Scholarship Award: Stipend of R180, 000 per year (tuition fees will be covered by SAAO and additional support for travel and equipment will be made available).
- Nationality: This scholarship is available for South African students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This scholarship is available for South African students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
The scholarship is currently open to South African citizens who hold, or are studying towards, an MSc degree in physics, astrophysics, or a closely related area (ideally with some astronomy background), and must be ready to register for a PhD at the start of the 2019 academic year.
How to Apply: Send your CV, motivation, academic transcript and arrange for 2 reference letters to be sent to the same address by the closing date.