The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq) in Brasilia, Brazil, and TWAS is inviting applications for TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship Programme. The fellowship is available for scientists from developing countries other than Brazil.
The academic year in Brazil usually begins on 1 March and the second semester in early August of each year. Candidates will enrol for their PhD at the host institution and must observe the academic calendar of the host institution, i.e. be ready to start their Fellowship on the first day of classes/courses (most likely in Portuguese).
User Review( votes)
TWAS – The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries – works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy. TWAS was founded in 1983 by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world, under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate.
- Applications Deadline: September 14, 2018
- Course Level: This Postgraduate Fellowship is available to study Postgraduate programme. This Postgraduate Fellowship is awarded to study full time and sandwich postgraduate fellowships to young scientists.
- Study Subject: This Postgraduate Fellowship is awarded in the following fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Scholarship Award: CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- Nationality: Fellowship is available for scientists from developing countries other than Brazil:
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers of Postgraduate Fellowship not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Brazil
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: This Postgraduate Fellowship is available for scientists from developing countries other than Brazil:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants for this Postgraduate Fellowship must meet the following criteria:
- There is no age limit for this programme.
- Hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree).
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English.
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution (please refer to the sample that can be downloaded below or is available and be willing to carry out part of their PhD research (Sandwich option) or register for a full PhD degree (Full time option) in the natural sciences at a participating CAPES-listed Brazilian institution (see point 3 above).
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue).
- Have updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform (see note on online applications below).
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- For SANDWICH applicants only: Provide a declaration from the home institution, which states the candidate has been officially enrolled as a PhD Student in the home country for at least 1 (one) year by the date of the application.
English Language Requirements: In most institutions the language of instruction is Portuguese; in a few institutions it is English.
How to Apply: Submitting your application
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowship must be submitted online only.
- Information on the call for applications where you will find the Postgraduate Fellowship programme details, eligibility criteria, required documents and certificates as well as the online application.
- Firstly, the candidate must create a CV Lattes through the link.
Secondly, the candidate must submit the application via the Carlos Chagas Platform available at (Proposals and Requests/Novos/International Cooperation/Twas).
- Applicants must be aware that CNPq and TWAS will not accept applications submitted by any other means except via the online application form.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Queries concerning the submission of applications via the online portal.
- Applicants should be aware that they can apply for only one Postgraduate Fellowship per year. With the exception of the Visiting Scientists programme, all other fellowship programmes offered by TWAS and OWSD are mutually exclusive.
CLICK HERE for more scholarships in Brazil!