The Birkbeck University of London offers up to 15 research studentships for Home/EU and international students which can help in the form of fee waivers. Studentships are available for M.Phil/ PhD students.
The aim of the School of Arts Research Studentships is to enable and encourage academically able students from any nationality.
A wonderful option to get financial support for study in UK.
User Review( vote)
Birkbeck is recognised as being a ‘global elite’ university, ranking among the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide. Birkbeck is a world-class research and teaching institution, a vibrant centre of academic excellence and London’s only specialist provider of evening higher education.
For most MPhil/PhD degrees, we require the equivalent of a good UK Master’s degree. Applicants must also meet our minimum . IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each of the subtests): Note- they only accept the Academic, not the General Test.
- Application Deadline: Open
- Course Level: The School of Arts also offers up to 15 research studentships for M.Phil/ PhD students that take the form of fee waivers.
- Study Subject: Studentships are tenable in all subject areas within the departments of English & Humanities, History of Art, Film, Media & Cultural Studies and Cultures and Languages or via the Arts and Humanities Doctoral Programme.
- Award: Arts Research Studentships (ARS) awards take the form of a full fee waiver capped at the value of the full or part-time Home/EU rate for M.Phil/PhD degrees (currently £4,195 per annum full-time, £2,226 part-time),
- Number of Awards: The School of Arts also offers up to 15 research studentships.
- Nationality: Home/EU and international students
- The award can be taken in the UK
- Eligible Countries: Home/EU and international students can apply for these studentships.
- Entrance Requirements: Arts Research Studentships (ARS) are open to Home/EU and International applicants applying for a full-time M.Phil/PhD place within the School of Arts, starting in the 2018/19 academic year. Applications from Home/EU students for part-time study will also be considered (at an appropriate pro-rata rate and extended duration). Exceptional School of Arts students currently enrolled in their first year of full-time, or first and second year of part-time study are also eligible to apply. Current students will not be required to interview.
- English Language Requirements: IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each of the subtests): Note – they only accept the Academic, not the General Test.
How to Apply: The application process incorporates two stages with 1) an application required to an MPhil/PhD programme within the School of Arts as well as 2) a funding application.
Stage 1: Programme Application
- Consult the general guidance on applying online for an M.Phil/PhD place. You can find a School of Arts Guide for Applicants here. Departmental online pages are full of information about staff and the research environment at Birkbeck that will help you develop your application.
- All prospective students are strongly advised to first make informal contact with a potential supervisor, and you are also welcome to contact the director of postgraduate studies (listed in the guide) in your chosen programme/department for advice.
Stage 2: Funding Application
- Programme applicants and current students wishing to be considered for funding must complete the funding application form, which can be downloaded here:
- The completed form should be emailed.