Birkbeck University of London offers upto 15 research studentships for Home/EU and international students which can help in form of fee waivers. Studentships are available for M.Phil/ PhD students.
The aim of the School of Arts Research Studentships is to enable and encourage academically able students from any nationality.
A wonderful option to get financial support for study in UK.
User Review( votes)
Birkbeck is recognised as being a ‘global elite’ university, ranking among the top 1 per cent of universities worldwide. Birkbeck is a world-class research and teaching institution, a vibrant centre of academic excellence and London’s only specialist provider of evening higher education.
For most MPhil/PhD degrees, we require the equivalent of a good UK Master’s degree. Applicants must also meet our minimum 6.5 (with 6.0 in each of the sub tests): Please note we only accept the Academic, not the General Test.. IELTS
- Application deadline: Open
- Course Level: The School of Arts also offers up to 15 research studentships for M.Phil/ PhD students that take the form of fee waivers.
- Study Subject: Studentships are tenable in all subject areas within the departments of English & Humanities, History of Art, Film, Media & Cultural Studies and Cultures and Languages or via the Arts and Humanities Doctoral Programme.
- Award: Arts Research Studentships (ARS) awards take the form of a full fee waiver capped at the value of the full or part-time Home/EU rate for M.Phil/PhD degrees (currently £4,195 per annum full-time, £2,226 part-time),
- Number of Awards: The School of Arts also offers up to 15 research studentships.
- Nationality: Home/EU and international students
- The award can be taken in UK
- Eligible Countries: Home/EU and international students can apply for these studentships.
- Entrance Requirements: Arts Research Studentships (ARS) are open to Home/EU and International applicants applying for a full-time M.Phil/PhD place within the School of Arts, starting in the 2018/19 academic year. Applications from Home/EU students for part-time study will also be considered (at an appropriate pro rata rate and extended duration). Exceptional School of Arts students currently enrolled in their first year of full-time, or first and second year of part-time study are also eligible to apply. Current students will not be required to interview.
- English Language Requirements: IELTS 6.5 (with 6.0 in each of the sub tests): Please note we only accept the Academic, not the General Test.
How to Apply: The application process incorporates two stages with 1) an application required to an MPhil/PhD programme within the School of Arts as well as 2) a funding application.
Stage 1: Programme Application
Please consult the general guidance on applying online for an M.Phil/PhD place. You can find a School of Arts Guide for Applicants here. Departmental online pages are full of information about staff and the research environment at Birkbeck that will help you develop your application.
All prospective students are strongly advised to first make informal contact with a potential supervisor, and you are also welcome to contact the director of postgraduate studies (listed in the guide) in your chosen programme/department for advice.
Stage 2: Funding Application
Programme applicants and current students wishing to be considered for funding must complete the funding application form, which can be downloaded here:
The completed form should be emailed.