The Korea Institute at Harvard University is accepting applications for a postdoctoral fellowship in Korean Studies for the 2017-18 academic year. These fellowships are open to all fields of study and time period. However, preference may be given to scholars working on Korean historical topics related to the following areas: business, science and technology, military, and the environment.
Applications are invited for Soon Young Kim Postdoctoral Fellowships in Korea Institute, Harvard University, USA. International applicants are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
User Review( votes)
The Korea Institute is devoted solely to the support and development of Korean Studies at Harvard, as the central hub for Harvard faculty, students, leading scholars in the field, and visitors to join together as a community for the study of Korea.
Harvard is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing postdoctoral programme.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in Korean Studies at the Korea Institute, Harvard University. This Fellowship is open to all fields of study and time period. However, preference may be given to scholars working on Korean historical topics related to the following areas: business, science and technology, military, and the environment.
Award: The fellowship will cover up to a 12-month period between August 1, 2017 and July 31, 2018, and will carry a stipend of $50,000 (with an understanding that the fellowship recipient shall purchase her/his own health insurance.) The recipient will have the option to purchase health insurance from Harvard‡s affiliate insurance program should s/he choose. The postdoctoral fellow will be provided an office and access to libraries and resources of Harvard University, and will be invited to participate in the academic life of the Korea Institute and appropriate academic department/s.
The award can be taken in the USA
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for these fellowships:
Applicants must have received their Ph.D. degree within five years of the postdoctoral appointment year (i.e. in 2012 or later). The applicant who is offered a fellowship must have fully completed all requirements for the Ph.D. degree by July 1, 2017.
Nationality: International applicants are eligible to apply for these fellowships.
How to Apply: Applicants may either email one COMPLETE, COLLATED, SINGLE PDF file to <cglover-at-fas.harvard.edu> or send the complete file via WE TRANSFER a free file transfer platform) to <cglover-at-fas.harvard.edu>. In the Subject line when sending an email, please put KI SYK APP & Applicant Name.
A complete application should consist of all of the following items, in the order listed below:
Summary sheet: On a separate sheet entitled Soon Young Kim Postdoctoral Fellowship, please provide the following information, re-typing each question in this order:
- Name & Emails & Phone (First Name, LAST NAME, your Email address(es) & a cell phone number)
- University & Dept. (of Ph.D.)
- Field of Study
- Thesis title
- Date Ph.D. received (or, if pending, give specific timeline)
- Names of 2 recommenders
- Short summary (c. 40 words) of research plan at Harvard; what will you do at Harvard
- Brief Statement of Teaching Interests
- Do you have a continuing teaching position? If yes, where? If teaching, have you obtained approval from your dept. to accept a postdoctoral position (if received) for 2017-2018?
- Have you previously applied for a Harvard postdoctoral fellowship? If yes, when?
- Are you currently applying for other postdoctoral fellowships? If so, which/where?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum vitae(please include *citizenship*, current and permanent addresses, telephone number/s, email address(es); academic degrees with dates of conferral, discipline and institution)
- Dissertation abstract and table of contents (up to 3 pages)
- Plan of research (up to 2 pages)
- Submit a Writing Sample-Include either a Dissertation Chapter in English & less than 40 pages, double-spaced OR a Journal Article in English & Published within the last two years
- Two course proposals(for undergraduate students)
- Official transcript of grades Please open your official transcript to scan, as part of your complete application.
- Two letters of recommendation The KI will only accept emailed letters of recommendation directly sent by the recommenders by the deadline.
- Please indicate that this letter of recommendation is for the Soon Young Kim Postdoc. Email directly to: <cglover-at-fas.harvard.edu>
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is January 5, 2017.