Applications are invited for Sun Yat-Sen University scholarships for students from Southeast Asia to commence their study in the academic year 2018.
Sun Yat-sen University, abbreviated SYSU and colloquially known in Chinese as Zhongda, also known as Zhongshan University, is a major Chinese public research university located in Guangdong, People’s Republic of China.
Outstanding applicants who apply for the programme without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take a Chinese preparatory course for one academic year.
- Application deadline: April 31, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue bachelor’s degrees at SYSU.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university .
- Scholarship Award:
Liberal Arts, Economics and Managerial Science Majors: RMB 56,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 26,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
Science and Engineering Majors: RMB 63,800 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 33,800 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year)
Medical Science Majors: RMB 78,000 yuan/person/academic year (including tuition fee RMB 48,000 yuan/person/academic year and living allowance RMB 30,000 yuan/person/academic year).
The tuition fee in the scholarship will be deducted directly; thus the scholarship recipient won’t have to pay for the tuition fee. Accommodation fee and comprehensive insurance for international students will be deducted from the living allowance in the scholarship, and the remaining amount will be transferred to the individual bank account of the recipient every month after enrolment and registration. However, the recipient shall be responsible for the fees of visa application, round-trip air tickets and physical examination, and all other fees.
- Number of Scholarships: In 2017, Sun Yat-Sen University provided scholarships for more than 230 students from 10 Southeast Asian countries.
- Scholarship can be taken in China
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Students from Southeast Asia are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements:
Applicants should be non-Chinese with a valid foreign passport, and meet requirements in the “Notice of Regulating Admission of International Students in Colleges and Universities” (83).
Applicants should be in good health and aged between 18 to 25 (date of birth between 1 stJanuary, 1993 to 30thAugust, 2000).
Applicants should be friendly towards China, law-abiding, studious and well-conducted, without any records of violation of Chinese laws, regulations or school rules.
Applicants should be high school graduates, with their grades ranking among the top, or with excellence in social services, sports, music, cultural activities or leadership.
Applicants should obtain a recommendation letter issued by the recommendation institutions* (refer to Appendix 1 for details) and be responsible for its authenticity.
English Language Requirements:
- Liberal Arts, Economics and Managerial Science Majors: HSK 5 Certificate (with 180 points or above) or other equivalent Chinese Learning Certificates;
- Science, Engineering and Medical Science Majors: HSK 4 Certificate (with 180 points or above) or other equivalent Chinese Learning Certificates;
- Applicants who complete high school education with Chinese as the language of instruction should submit certificates of Chinese language proficiency issued by their schools and can be exempted from providing HSK Certificates after SYSU’s verification;
- Outstanding applicants who apply for the programme without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take a Chinese preparatory course for one academic year. Upon the completion of the course and the satisfaction of the language entry requirements, they can begin their undergraduate studies with Chinese as the language of instruction.
All supporting documents and requirements are as follows (Those supporting documents that are not in Chinese or English should be accompanied by a formal certified translation in Chinese or English):
- Passport biographical page
- Graduation certificate of the highest level of education
- Transcripts from the highest level of education
- Language Proficiency Certificate
- Recommendation letter
- Personal statement
- Other supporting documents
How to Apply:
Before March 1, 2018, applicants should submit all application documents to the recommendation institutions in their home countries to obtain recommendation letters.
Between March 1, 2018 and 30thApril, 2018, they should sign up on http://application.sysu.edu.cn, sign in to fill in the application form under the “SYSU scholarship” programme in an accurate and complete manner, and upload scanned copies of all supporting documents as required (Only PDF, JPG, JPEG and PNG files are acceptable, and each file size should not exceed 2MB).To complete the application, applicants should click the “submit” button.