Trinity College, in partnership with edX, is offering online course aims to introduce basic principles of computer science by designing and building mobile apps in App Inventor for Android. This course is intended to inform how to design and build mobile apps – apps that are aware of location, send and receive text messages, and give advice and directions.
Course designs are aligned to make students learn the use of open development tool, App Inventor, to program on Android devices. The course will start on starts on February 7, 2017.
User Review( vote)
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks course
Effort: 8 hours total
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Trinity College & edX
Certificate Available: Yes. Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Starts on February 7, 2017
Trinity students integrate meaningful academic and leadership experience at all levels on the College’s celebrated campus, in the capital city of Hartford, and in communities all over the world.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. edX can empower you to build innovative applications, services, and experiences on the HarvardX platform that will help you make a meaningful impact in today’s interconnected world.
About This Course
Learn to use the open development tool, App Inventor, to program on Android devices. You will learn how to design and build mobile apps — apps that are aware of their location, send and receive text messages, and give advice and directions. The only limit on the types of apps you will learn to build is your own imagination!
However, computer science is not just about coding and building apps. We will also learn some of the fundamental principles of computer science. We’ll learn about the potential and the limitations of computing and coding. We’ll learn how the Internet works and about the positive and negative aspects of computing in today’s society, and much more!
For these broader computing concepts we will work within an emerging curricular framework — the Computer Science Principles (CSP). The CSP framework is being developed by leading computer science educators from around the country under the auspices of the College Board and with funding support of the National Science Foundation.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts. No prior experience is required. Applicants can also get Verified Certificate. In addition to programming and CSP the course is project-based and emphasizes writing, communication, and creativity.
After completing this course you will have knowledge of :
- How to design and create Android mobile apps using App Inventor
- How computer science principles apply to algorithms, programming, the Internet and society
- How to think creatively, analytically and abstractly about computational problems
Ralph A. Morelli
Ralph Morelli is a professor of computer science at Trinity College.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)