Postdoctoral Position in Cognitive and Computational Musicology at University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Study Subject(s):Cognitive and Computational Musicology
Scholarship Provider: Universityof Amsterdam, Netherlands
The award can be taken at: Netherlands
User Review( votes)
- Completed Doctoral degree in a relevant field, such as music cognition, music technology, cognitive science or computer science;
- Keen interest in the field of music cognition and/or music technology and a strong ambition to do scientific research;
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals or with established academic journals;
- Demonstrable skills in computational modeling;
- Excellent academic writing and presentation skills;
- Excellent social and organizational skills.
Scholarship Open for International Students: No
Description: The postdoctoral researcher will take part in a collaborative research project cutting across the boundaries between music cognition and computer science. The project named COGITCH (COgnition Guided Interoperability beTween Collections of musical Heritage) was recently funded by NWO-CATCH and is a collaboration of the Utrecht University, University of Amsterdam, The Meertens Institute, Netherlands Public Broadcasting, and Sound & Vision. It aims to develop generic techniques for relating music from different Dutch music collections. In developing retrieval methods, we will take a top-down approach, working from musical knowledge and cognitive psychology towards the identification and processing of audio features. On-line annotations provided by listeners will support establishing the relationships between ‘hooks’ (perceptually salient musical patterns) and the music.
How to Apply: Online
application Deadline: October 16th 2011