Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo is offering a Research Internship Program in Japan. UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or PhD degree in the future.
The internship provides a stipend of JPY 60,000 yen; housing as well as funding for travel. International Students are eligible to apply for this internship programme.
A fine internship for candidates.
User Review( votes)
- Field of Internship: UTRIP is an intensive summer research program targeted at undergraduates who have a keen interest in pursuing an M.S. or PhD degree in the future. During the program, the participants receive intensive instruction and guidance on conducting research from renowned faculty members belonging to the GSS’s five departments of physics, astronomy, chemistry, earth & planetary science, and biological sciences.
- Course Level: Internship
- Internship Provider: Graduate School of Science (GSS) of the University of Tokyo
- An internship can be taken in Japan
Applicants for UTRIP must:
- Have completed at least one full year in a Bachelor’s degree program at the time of application.
- Be enrolled in and, after the UTRIP program ends, be expected to return to, at least another semester, quarter, or another equivalent academic term, in a Bachelor’s degree program (or a Bachelor’s-equivalent year of an integrated Bachelor’s-Master’s degree program) at a university outside of Japan.
?At selection, the priority for nomination is given to applicants expected to be in their third year of a four-year Bachelor’s degree program and to applicants expected to be in their second year of a three-year Bachelor’s degree program.? Second-year students in four-year Bachelor’s degree programs are also encouraged to apply.
- Be enrolled in natural science or related field.
- Be thinking of pursuing long-term career goals in a scientific area.
- Be planning to commit to the entire six consecutive weeks of the UTRIP program (June 9 to July 20, 2017, for 1st Crew students, and June 28 to August 8, 2017, for 2nd Crew students) on a full-time basis.
- Be able to present coverage of a health insurance plan that is effective during the internship program before arriving in Japan.
Internship Open for International Students: International Students are eligible to apply for this internship programme.
Number of awards offered: Not Known
How to Apply
- How to Apply: All required documents are required to be submitted online. Please note that original official transcripts will be required for enrollment purposes if applicants are successfully selected for UTRIP. Please contact us if you have any technical difficulties.
- Application information
Prior to submitting your application, make sure to review the list of Hosting Labs & Project Topics / Faculty Members & Topics to identify a hosting lab and project of your interest. The applicant selects up to two hosting labs and indicates the order of preference in the online application.
See project reports of the past programs, which demonstrate the depth and level of achievement made by former participants, in our archives for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and 2011.
- Personal information
You are required to state general information in your profile. As we rely mainly on email to communicate with all applicants, please include a current email address on your application and be sure to promptly respond to all correspondence.
- Personal statement
Address the following topics in 700 – 1000 words in total:
- Your reasons for selecting the particular research project(s) in the UTRIP program, and what you hope to gain from this experience
- What makes you qualified for the particular research project(s), briefly highlighting your skills and experience when they are specifically required by the faculty member(s) of your choice, or when they appear to be helpful to conduct research in the laboratory(ies) that you have selected
- Whether you are thinking of applying to the Graduate School of Science at the University of Tokyo after you graduate from your current university, citing your reasons
- Educational background and qualifications
- Resume / CV
- This should include in-depth descriptions of any work experience, responsibilities or projects relevant to the research topic on which you wish to work during the program. It should also briefly explain courses you have taken or will take as well as prizes and awards, which are relevant to the research topic if you have any.
- Applicants whose universities provide official GPA scores must write those scores. If your university does not provide an official GPA score, you are required to calculate your own GPA and then describe the calculation in the “Notes” section.
Internship Application Deadline: Closed for 2020