The Byzantine Studies Research Center of Bogaziçi University in Istanbul and Villa I Tatti – The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies in Florence is offering Villa I Tatti – Bogazici University Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2019-2020).
This collaboration aims to foster the development of research on Late Byzantine-Italian relations by supporting early-career scholars whose work explores Byzantium’s cross-cultural contacts in the late medieval and early modern Mediterranean world through the study of art, architecture, archaeology, history, literature, material culture, music, philosophy, religion, or science.
User Review( votes)
Bogazici University in 2015, operates under the last Byzantine Studies Research Center is the first research centre established to carry out scientific studies on the Byzantine civilization in a state university in Turkey. Center’s mission to Turkey in the Byzantine / Eastern Roman promoting the civilization upbringing researchers working on the existing researchers contributing to the study, in the experts from Turkey and abroad joint project of creating a suitable environment for the coming together of Istanbul’s Byzantine work of the world’s leading cities in the field to provide support to take place between.
- Applications Deadline: November 15, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue Postdoctoral research programme.
- Study Subject: The fellowship will focus on the interaction between Italy and the Byzantine Empire (ca. 1300 to ca. 1700).
- Scholarship Award: Terms and details relating to the Bo?aziçi University Byzantine Studies Research Center
- Fellows are expected to devote their entire Fellowship period to their research project and may not accept any other job or teaching obligation during this period.
- Fellows are required to spend their research period in Istanbul except for research-related trips within Turkey, and to participate in and contribute to the activities of the Byzantine Studies Research Center.
- Do fellows enjoy the use of the Bogaziçi University Library as well as some other campus facilities?
- The stipend is USD 1800 per month, plus a one-time supplement (maximum USD 1500) towards airfare to/from Istanbul.
- The Fellow is responsible for obtaining a visa, residence permit, and health coverage.
- Nationality: Fellowship is available for International students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Scholars will spend the fall term (September-December) in Istanbul and the spring term (January-June) in Florence.
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Fellowship is available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
The Villa I Tatti – Bogaziçi University Joint Fellowship is offered to candidates who have received a PhD in or after 2008. Candidates must have their PhD in hand by the time they apply and will be asked to upload a scan of it when submitting their application. Candidates must be conversant in English and have at least a reading knowledge of Italian. They must have a solid background in the Italian Renaissance and/or Byzantine Studies. Each successful candidate must be approved by both the Byzantine Studies Research Center and Villa I Tatti and will spend the fall term (September-December) at Bogaziçi University in Istanbul and the spring term (January-June) at Villa I Tatti in Florence. During both terms, it must be possible for Fellows to carry out most of their research with the resources available in the city where they are resident. Priority will be given to applicants with no previous association with Villa I Tatti or the Byzantine Studies Research Center. Renewals, repeats, or deferments of this Fellowship are not granted.
English Language Requirements: Candidates must be conversant in English and have at least a reading knowledge of Italian.
How to Apply: Applications must be written in English and submitted electronically by midnight (Cambridge, MA time) on November 15, 2018.
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must have two scholars who know their work well submit recommendations online by November 20, 2018. These recommendations can be written in English or Italian. In order to give your referees adequate time to submit letters of recommendation, click the reference tab and register them as early as possible. Referees will receive an email explaining how to access the system and submit their letters electronically. It is the applicants’ responsibility to inform the scholars writing on their behalf of the nature of the project and the deadline for submission.