The Visby Scholarship provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. There are about 45 Visby scholarships offered for the academic year 2018-2019.
The aim of the Visby Programme is to support individual mobility, thereby contributing to increased contacts and collaborations between actors in Sweden and countries in the EU Eastern Partnership and Russia.
User Review( votes)
The Swedish Institute is a public agency with a staff of approximately 140 employees, with offices in Stockholm, Visby and Paris. Their commitment is to gain knowledge and understanding of different cultures, their people, and to promote Sweden and Swedish issues globally.
Course Level: award is available for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers to conduct research at Swedish universities.
Study Subject(s): Research fields within all academic disciplines are eligible.
Number of Awards: About 45 financial aid positions will be offered.
Award: The grant is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists.
Insurance: Scholarship holders and accompanying family members are insured by the Swedish State Group Insurance against illness and accident during the program period.
The award can be taken in Sweden
Eligibility: The program provides PhD students and postdoctoral researchers from all academic disciplines with an opportunity to conduct research at Swedish universities within all fields of study. Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
- PhD student, applying for a part of his/her ongoing PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden (12 months maximum).
- Postdoctoral researcher, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2013 or later (12 months maximum).
- Senior scientist – holders of a PhD degree acquired before 2013 (6 months maximum).
There is no age limit.
You cannot be granted a scholarship if you:
- have already lived in Sweden for two or more years when the program period is due to begin
- already have a Swedish permanent residence permit
- have a Swedish work permit and are currently employed in Sweden
- are applying for a scholarship at PhD level but are not enrolled in ongoing PhD studies outside of Sweden
- are applying for a scholarship at the postdoctoral level, but do not hold a PhD degree
- have already been awarded three or more opportunities/grants from SI.
Nationality: The Visby award is open to citizens of the following countries: Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland, Russia and Ukraine.
How to Apply: The application should be submitted online using the Swedish Institute application portal. Complete all the mandatory fields and attach all required documents. Only submit the application once and wait until you receive a confirmation email with your reference number. The reference number should be used whenever contacting SI with inquiries in regard to the application. If you cannot find the confirmation email in your inbox, first make sure to check your spam filter before contacting SI.
Application Deadline: Closed