Applications are invited for VLIR-UOS scholarships to pursue accredited English master programs of 60, 90 or 120 credits, organized at a Flemish University. Selection of a Master as ICP implies the acquirement of and obligation to attribute 12 fully-fledged scholarships per the intake year 2021-2020.
All students applying for the ICP need to comply with the academic criteria as set by the program. These requirements relate to the academic level and content and are therefore not defined by VLIRUOS
Study Subject(s): The studentships are awarded in all subjects available at a Flemish University.
Course Level: The studentships are available for pursuing master’s programs.
Scholarship Provider: VLIR-UOS
Award can be taken at: Belgium
- Nationality and Country of Residence: A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the countries of the VLIR-UOS country list for programmes (not necessarily the same country) at the time of application.
- Age: The maximum age for an ICP candidate is 35 years for an initial master and 40 years for an advanced master. The candidate cannot succeed this age on January 1 of the intake year.
- Professional background and experience: VLIR-UOS gives priority to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, social economy or NGO’s, or aim a career in one of these sectors. However, also candidates employed in the profit sector or newly graduated candidates without any work experience can be eligible for the opportunity .
- Fungibility with other VLIR-UOS funding: A scholarship within the BTP program is not compatible with financial support within an IUC- or TEAM-project. Candidates working in a university where such projects are being organized should submit a declaration of the project leader stating that the department where the candidate is employed is not involved in the project.
- Former VLIR-UOS applications and previously awarded scholarships: A candidate can only submit one VLIR-UOS application per year, irrespectively of the program type. As a consequence, a candidate can only be selected for one VLIR-UOS scholarship per year.
- The candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master programme or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master programme or equivalent before January 1 of the intake year.
- Open for International Students: National and resident of one of the countries of the VLIR-UOS country are eligible to apply: Africa: Angola, Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinee-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauretania, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe; Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Vietnam and Latin America: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Surinam.
What does it cover?
The overall ICP budget will be declared soon. Applicants can apply for incremental funding up to a maximum of
- € 150.000 (for 2-year / 4 semesters / 120 credits Master programmes);
- € 125.000 (for 1,5 / 3 semesters / 90 credits Master programmes);
- € 100.000 (for 1-year / 2 semesters / 60 credits Master programmes); per year for a five-year period.
This funding facility is available for, basically, two general types of expenses: (1) Costs related to building a strategy to gradually strengthen/build the South dimension of the ICP through cooperation with partners in the South (planning costs); (2) Costs related to the operation of the programme aimed at ensuring quality participation by students and teaching/research staff from the South (operational costs).
How to Apply
The applications should be submitted online.
Selection Criteria: A proposal will be selected on the basis of a set of 6 selection criteria.
-Previously awarded scholarships
Application Deadline: Open