Simon Fraser University, the Office of the Vice-President, Research is offering award program for pursuing research in the fields of natural sciences and engineering. The program entitled “Vice-President, Research Undergraduate Student Research Awards” (VPR USRA) is on a full-time basis.
These awards are available for undergraduate students. The value of each award is $4,500 paid over the minimum 16-week period.
User Review( votes)
Study Subject(s): The awards are for full-time research and development activities in the natural sciences and engineering.
Course Level: The grant is awarded for pursuing a research program.
Scholarship Provider: Simon Fraser University
The award can be taken at Canada
Eligibility: Students who do not meet the eligibility criteria for an NSERC USRA may be eligible for a VPR USRA Science. VPR USRA awards are available to international students, while NSERC USRA’s are not. VPR USRA’s are available to faculty members who hold a major grant, but not necessarily from NSERC. Note that VPR USRA Sciences applicants must:
- be an SFU undergraduate student;
- have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study;
- have been registered and enrolled in courses in one of the two terms immediately prior to holding the award in a bachelor’s degree program at SFU (the only exception is that a student holding a USRA in the Fall term does not have to be registered in the preceding summer; however, a student graduating in one term is not eligible to hold the award in the following term)
- have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least 2.67;
- have held 2 or fewer USRAs (including NSERC USRAs) in the past; and,
- not have started a program of graduate studies.
Open for International Students: VPR USRA awards are available to students who are international students and/or who wish to work with a faculty member who holds a major grant, but not necessarily from NSERC.
Description: SFU’s Vice-President Research has provided funding for an award program entitled “Vice-President, Research Undergraduate Student Research Awards” (VPR USRA) for current SFU undergraduate students interested in working on a major research project with an eligible university professor. Students must be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences and engineering during the minimum 16-week tenure of the award. Students are not permitted to take any class or course in the term when they are holding this award.
What does it cover? The VPR USRA is derived from two sources: the VPR award portion and the faculty supplement:
- The VPR award portion is $4,500
- The faculty supplement is valued at a minimum $1,856 +8%(for statutory benefits)
- Note that after June 1, 2018, the faculty supplement is valued at a minimum $2,584 + 8% (for statutory benefits)
How to Apply: Students complete the application form, print it and attach photocopies or unofficial transcripts. This must be submitted to the department by the deadline date published by that department. Award Offer Letters and Award Acceptance Forms will be sent via email starting February 22 with a two-week acceptance deadline. Students must complete the Award Acceptance Form and submit it to DGS within the two week acceptance period. Signed, scanned forms can be returned to DGS via email.
Application Deadline: -By Departmental Deadline date: students must submit applications and other required documentation to the department.
-Departments must submit ranked A and B list to DGS by February 7, 2021.