School of Arts at Birkbeck, University of London is inviting applications for 12 Fully-funded postgraduate research scholarships. UK/EU and International applicants are eligible to apply.
The aim of the scholarship is to enable and encourage academically able students from any nationality.
The School of Arts at Birkbeck, University of London offers diverse, innovative, exciting and creative prospectus, from one-day courses to PhDs.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Course Level: Applications are open to all students applying to undertake postgraduate research.
Study Subject: Birkbeck welcome applications from candidates wanting to conduct doctoral research in all areas of the following fields in the School of Arts:
- Arts and Humanities
- Arts Management
- Cultural Studies
- English and Humanities
- History of Art, Architecture, Museum Cultures and Photography
- Film, Screen Media and Television
- French and/or German Comparative Literature and Culture
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Culture
Scholarship Award: The Birkbeck Postgraduate Research Scholarship awards will include a full fee waiver capped at the value of the full-time Home/EU rate for M.Phil/PhD degrees (currently £4,121), in addition to an annual stipend set at Research Council rates (currently £16,296; pro rata in the case of a part-time award).
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
- Birkbeck Postgraduate Research Scholarships are open to Home/EU and International applicants applying for a full-time M.Phil/PhD place within the School of Arts, starting in the 2017/18 academic year.
- Applications from Home/EU students for part-time study will also be considered (at an appropriate pro rata rate and extended duration).
- Exceptional School of Arts students currently enrolled in their first year of full-time, or first and second year of part-time study are also eligible to apply. Current students will not be required to interview.
Nationality: UK/EU and International applicants are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have their previous degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The application process incorporates two stages with 1) an application required to an MPhil/PhD programme within the School of Arts as well as 2) a funding application.
Stage 1: Programme Application
- Please consult the general guidance on applying online for an M.Phil/PhD place. You can find a School of Arts Guide for Applicants here. Departmental online pages are full of information about staff and the research environment at Birkbeck that will help you develop your application.
- All prospective students are strongly advised to first make informal contact with a potential supervisor, and you are also welcome to contact the director of postgraduate studies (listed in the guide) in your chosen programme/department for advice.
Programme Application Deadline: January 16, 2017.
- Please be advised that all programme applicants wishing to be considered for funding will be required to attend an interview to discuss their proposal.
- Programme applications will be processed as soon as they are submitted. Interviews for applicants seeking funding will be completed by Friday February 3, 2017.
Stage 2: Funding Application
Programme applicants and current students wishing to be considered for funding must complete the funding application form, which can be downloaded here:
The completed form should be emailed to SoAFA-at-bbk.ac.uk.
Application Deadline: Deadlines are as follows:
- Programme Application Deadline: January 16, 2017.
- Funding Application Deadline: February 13, 2017.