Latvian Government is now accepting applications for ‘Study Scholarships’ to pursue undergraduate, master and PhD degree. These scholarships are available to international students for the academic year 2017-2018.
Scholarships are offered to foreign students, researchers and teaching staff who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies for studies, research and participation in summer schools.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing undergraduate, master and PhD degree.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are awarded in any subject available at Latvian HEI.
Scholarship Award: The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
Scholarship can be taken in Latvia
Eligibility: Eligibility criteria is:
- Citizens from countries which have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships.
- Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2017).
- Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year –a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
- Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme.
Nationality: Citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement can apply for these Latvian government scholarships.
List of Countries: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, South Korea, Tajikistan, The People`s Republic of China, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan or offer scholarships for Latvian students (Austria, Iceland, Slovakia, United States of America, Denmark, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Norway and Switzerland
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home HEI or at a Latvian HEI if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2016).
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: Applicants should apply by post. On-line application form will be available soon. An applicant has to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password. After that an application form can be filled in on-line and necessary documents can be attached there as well. The system will require following documents to be uploaded:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Please use the Europass template: europass.cedefop.europa.eu
- Letter of motivation (including activities outside studies related to the study field in Latvia or in the home country, e. g. work in professional organisations, participation in scientific conferences, international projects)
- Photocopies of diplomas of higher education and supplements or a transcript of records of the last two study semesters (if studies are not completed)
- Copies of two letters of recommendation from academic staff members, signed within the last six months
- A copy of a letter of the relevant Latvian higher education institution, confirming the foreigner’s opportunity to study in the chosen study programme and informing about the language of instruction (Latvian or other EU official language). List of contact persons of Latvian higher education institutions
- Study plan for duration of the scholarship
- A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies
- Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
- Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If applicants are nominatet by a competent authority of their countries – Ministry of Education, Agency for Education etc. –, they have to contact the authority and send application documents to the authority as well, if required.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is April 1, 2017.