British Council India, Department of Science and Technology (DST) and Department of Biotechnology (DBT) are jointly offering Newton-Bhabha PhD Placement Programme. The programme offers short-term (2-4 months) PhD placements for Indian and UK PhD scholars to spend a period of their study at UK or Indian higher education or research institutions.
The programme aims to develop the individual capacity of scholars through PhD placements.
The Newton Bhabha Fund brings together the UK and Indian scientific research and innovation sectors to find joint solutions to the challenges facing India in economic development and social welfare. The scheme is part of the UK’s £375 million Newton Fund to support science and innovation partnerships between the UK and emerging powers.
The candidate should have a very good command over the English language.
Course Level: PhD Programme is available to spend a period of their study at UK or Indian higher education or research institutions.
Study Subject: Scholarships are offered in diverse fields to help students in upgrading their education.
- Visa fee, Economy class international airfares and overseas medical insurance incurred by PhD scholars.
- In-country costs including accommodation and stipend for PhD scholars
Scholarship can be taken in the UK and India
Eligibility: In India, The scheme is open only for Indian scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institution with following criteria:
- INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2014 are eligible to apply for a STEM and Life Sciences subject. 2. PhD Scholar (other than INSPIRE Fellows) who have qualified through national level test and are pursuing PhD in mid second or third year of Life sciences are eligible to apply. These scholars will be funded by DBT
- PhD Scholar (other than INSPIRE Fellows) who have qualified through national level test and are pursuing PhD in mid second or third year of Life sciences are eligible to apply. These scholars will be funded by DBT
- In UK, The scheme is open only for UK scholars pursuing their PhD at a UK higher education institution. (Please see list of eligible institutions under downloads section)
Nationality: Scholars from India and UK can apply for this programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must be pursuing PhD programme UK in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and Life Sciences.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirement: The candidate should have a very good command over the English language.
How to Apply: The application should be submitted by PhD scholar with endorsement from both the sending and receiving Head of Department and supervisors with the latter’s confirmation that they will host the PhD scholars; duration of the stay and level of bench fees if they charge (bench fees is applicable only for UK host Universities)
Application Form – Indian Scholars
Application Form – UK Scholars
Application Deadline: The application deadline is August 21, 2017.