The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) is funding postdoctoral fellowships for the citizens or permanent resident of Canada. Fellowships are valued at $40,500 per year for a minimum of 12 months and a maximum of 24 months.
SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships support the most promising Canadian new scholars in the social sciences and humanities and assist them in establishing a research base at an important time in their research careers.
The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) is the federal research funding agency that promotes and supports postsecondary-based research and research training in the humanities and social sciences.
Course Level: Fellowships are available for pursuing a postdoctoral research program at Canadian or foreign universities and research institutions.
Study Subject(s): Fellowships are awarded in the area of Social Sciences and Humanities.
Scholarship Award: SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $40,500 per year. These are taxable, non-renewable fellowships, tenable for a minimum of 12 months and a maximum of 24 months. The award may begin on the first of any month between May 2017 and January 2018.
Scholarship can be taken in Canada and overseas
Eligibility: To apply for this funding opportunity, the applicant must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada (by the application deadline);
- Be a current doctoral student, or have earned a first doctorate from a recognized university no earlier than September 2014 (date all degree requirements were completed, not the date of graduation), or have completed a first doctorate no earlier than September 2011, but have since had their career interrupted or delayed for the purpose of maternity, childrearing, illness, or health-related family responsibilities;
- Not hold a tenure or tenure-track faculty position;
- Have finalized arrangements for affiliation with a recognized university or research institution;
- Have applied not more than twice before to the SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowships funding opportunity;
- Not be applying in the 2016-17 academic year to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships Program or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Postdoctoral Fellowship funding opportunity; and
- Not have already received a postdoctoral award (including a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- Applicants with a PhD from a foreign university are eligible to apply only if they wish to hold their award at a Canadian university.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to hold their award at a foreign university only if their PhD was earned at a Canadian university.
Nationality: Citizens (or permanent resident of Canada by the application deadline) of Canada can apply for these postdoctoral fellowships.
How to apply: Applicants must complete and submit only one application form, together with the CV and the required attachments. Instructions for filling out the application form and CV are available within the form used by applicants to create their online submission.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is September 20, 2017.