The University of British Columbia offers Vantage One Excellence Award for international students to study in Canada. Awards are available to pursue the undergraduate programme in the fields of endeavour such as the performing arts, sports, debating or creative writing, or external academic competitions and examinations.
Awards ranging in value up to the full cost of the student’s academic program and living costs are offered to students beginning their undergraduate studies at UBC in the UBC Vantage One Program.
UBC recognizes the academic achievement of outstanding students from around the world by devoting more than $10 million CAD annually to awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial support for international undergraduate students.
The University of British Columbia is a global center for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo.
English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they’re admitted.
Course Level: Award is available to pursue undergraduate programme.
Study Subject: Award is available in the fields of endeavour such as the performing arts, sports, debating or creative writing, or external academic competitions and examinations.
Scholarship Award: Excellence Award winners will receive an award-level commensurate with their financial need as determined by the costs of their tuition and student fees, plus their living and other related costs at UBC, minus the financial contribution the student and their family can make annually towards these costs. A standard needs-assessment will be made, based on the financial information provided by students and their families.
Scholarship can be taken in Canada
Eligibility: To be considered for the Vantage One Excellence Award at UBC, the nominee must:
- be an international student, who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada, and who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian Study Permit (visa);
- be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program at Vancouver campus from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from a recognized college or other universities;
- be applying for their first undergraduate degree;
- be admissible to the program they are applying to, including meeting UBC Vantage College’s English Language Admission Standard (visit vintage college.ubc.ca/admissions for detailed admissions information);
- have an excellent academic record (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard);
- be nominated by the academic institution they are currently attending or have recently graduated from;
- Demonstrate a significant level of financial need that would otherwise prevent them from pursuing a UBC degree.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program at Vancouver campus from a recognized secondary school, or transferring from a recognized college or another university.
English language Requirements: English is the primary language of instruction at UBC. All prospective students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they’re admitted.
How to Apply: THE SCHOOL:
The nominating school/institution must complete Sections 2.1 – 2.2.
Required Documents for Undergraduate Admission Once the online application is submitted, UBC will send the applicant an acknowledgement email detailing what documents are required. Nominees must ensure their school is aware of these document requirements. For timely evaluation of the Admission Application, we ask that schools submit the required documents, if available, with the nomination package, by the deadline of March 15, 2017.
- a) For high school students: Grades 9 to 11 and Grade 12 interim/mid-year transcript and if applicable, official mock, preboard or predicted final grades for courses that are still in progress. In British-patterned education, certified copies of GCSE ‘O’ Level, GCE ‘AS’, ‘A’ Level certificates, and predicted ‘AS’ or ‘A’ Level grades are required. The UBC Admissions Office will accept scanned transcripts and certificates that are uploaded by the student or mailed by the school from an official school email address, but at a later stage will require official transcripts and certificates to formalize any offer of admission.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Transcripts must be in the original language of instruction. If the transcript is in a language other than English or French, a certified translation by a recognized translation agency must be provided.
A school profile or description of the institution the nominee is currently attending, if available.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is January 15, 2017.