U.S. Department of State is inviting applications for Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD). The programme provides one semester scholarships to outstanding undergraduate students from around the world for non-degree full-time study combined with community service, professional development, and cultural enrichment.
Program goal is to promote mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries.
The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). This international educational and cultural exchange program brings future leaders to the United States to experience the U.S. educational system, enhance their knowledge, and explore U.S. culture and values.
Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
- Application deadline: December 31, 2017
- Course Level: The Global UGRAD program offers cultural/academic exchange through a non-degree program for a semester at a university in the U.S.
- Study Subject: Students from all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply for the Global UGRAD Program. Possible fields of study include the humanities, arts, social sciences, mathematical science, natural and physical sciences, engineering and applied science.
- Scholarship Award: Global Undergraduate Program offers:
- Round-trip from your home city to and within the U.S.
- Tuition and mandatory university fees
- Room and board (housing and meals)
- Accident and sickness coverage
- A monthly allowance for incidentals during the program
- A limited allowance for books
- Monthly maintenance allowance for the duration of the program
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers are not given.
- Nationality: Global UGRAD participating country
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Citizens of a Global UGRAD participating country can apply for International Exchange Program.Participating countries/locales include: Algeria, Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia, China, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Georgia, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritania, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Oman, Palestinian Territories, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Zimbabwe
- Entrance Requirements: The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program provides non-degree undergraduate study abroad in the United States on a competitive basis to university students.The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program is open to anyone who is/has:
- Over 18 years of age;
- A citizen of a UGRAD participating country, currently residing in that country;
- Enrolled as an undergraduate in good standing at any accredited university, public or private, and has at least one semester remaining at their home university at the conclusion of the UGRAD program;
- Completed secondary education in their home country;
- A solid command of written and spoken English (English Language training for some finalists is possible);
- Able to begin studies in the United States in August 2018 or January 2019 (selected participants may not defer to a later date);
- Eligible to receive and maintain the US student exchange visa (J-1) required for the program;
- Cleared by a physician to participate in the program;
- Committed to returning to their home country after the completion of the program.
- English Language Requirements: Students need to demonstrate that they have a good level of written and spoken English.
Please create only one application. If you forget your password or have difficulty logging in, email exchangeprograms-at-worldlearning.org for assistance. The application will close on Dec. 31st, 2017 at 5PM EST.
Registering for the program
Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox work best when completing the UGRAD application. We do NOT recommend using Internet Explorer. Please do not use a translation plugin when accessing the application. Register for the program using this link:
- Select the Global UGRAD 2018 Application and click ‘register’
- The site will then ask if you already have login information for the portal.
• If you applied for UGRAD in the past, select the first option: “I have login credentials to this site
that I received by email”.
• If this is your first time, select the 2nd option: “I do not have log-in credentials to this site”.
- If you have a login from last year, please sign in using your existing credentials. Once you do this, select “Academic Year 2018-2019” to begin your new application, and skip to pages 6-8 in this guide for more application tips. DO NOT create a new account if you cannot remember your password. (Note: your username is your email address.) If you cannot remember your password, request a new password by clicking “Forgot password?”.
Important: Always make sure to include the name of the program to which you are trying to apply in your Password Reset request (additional information) or any emails to exchangeprograms-at-worldlearning.org
- If you are a new applicant, after selecting the 2nd option, you will fill out the “New User Form” to register. The email address you use to sign up will be your registration email and user name. Filling in the “New User Form” will generate temporary login credentials for the application site.
- After completing the form and clicking “create account,” check your email for your temporary password, and follow the link to sign in. You MUST follow the link in your email to correctly access the application site for the first time!
After following the link, you will see the following message. Click “I have login credentials to this site that I received by email” and press “Submit”.
- Type your user ID (email) into the Username field and use your temporary password to sign in.
- Security Questions: Next you will choose security questions and change your password. Once you have done so, be sure to write down both the answers to your security questions and your new password and keep them somewhere safe for future reference.
- Change Password: Create a new password you will remember and press “Change”
- Next, choose Academic Year 2018-2019 and press “Apply”.
- Fill in your Applicant Information and press “Save”
- After answering and saving this information, you will be taken directly to your Participant Homepage and may begin to complete your application. You must complete all the forms located under Program Applications, Forms and, Questionnaires
Logging In: Now that you have set up your account and changed your password, you may regularly access the Portal at http://exchangeprograms.worldlearning.org/ using your permanent login credentials (registration email and newly-changed password).
Forgotten password: If you forget your password, on the login screen, click “Forgot your password?” and follow the instructions on the next page. World Learning will send you an email with temporary login credentials (similar to what you received when you initially registered your account) so that you can regain access to the site and reset your password.
Participant homepage: Your Participant Homepage will list all of your required forms. All program forms and upload spots are shown here: Click on the name of a form (in green) to begin answering questions or to upload a document.
Once you have responded to all required questions (marked with *), you must “submit” the form in.
Uploading documents/images: You will be required to upload documents and images to your application. It is important that you only upload documents or images as a .pdf or .jpeg file. You may not hyperlink documents or images to external websites like Google Drive or a shared drive. Word files will not be accepted. Please follow the instructions located on the application. Please do not fill in any other text into the box provided. You may not copy and paste an image into the text box. After you follow the instructions, a link to your document will appear. You will not see your document or
image in the text box.
Progress meter: The Progress Meter is located toward the top of your home page and will help you gauge the completeness of your application. Once you have completed and submitted all required parts of your application, the meter will display a message that your application is complete.
Submit application: The submit application button at the top of the page is your final submission button. If the progress meter is complete and all forms have a check mark, then your application is finished. If you click the Submit Application button, an error message will appear if there are missing components to your application. Once you have completed and submitted all required parts of your application, click on the “Submit Application” button. You will receive an immediate confirmation message. You will also receive an automated email within 24 hours after submitting all your forms to confirm that
your application is complete.
Note: If you change your mind and no longer wish to apply for the Global Undergraduate Exchange Program, you may click on the “Withdraw” button. Once you click withdraw, your application is no longer
considered for the program. Please do not withdraw your application to create a new one.
How to Apply: Apply through the U.S. Embassy (Public Affairs Section) or Fulbright Commission in your home country.