The Scotiabank/CJFE Journalism Fellowship is available to a full-time journalist who has at least seven years’ experience and is employed as a print, broadcast or online reporter or editor. The fellowship is open to applicants from South America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Mexico. Fellowship is a two 4-month semesters (starting September 3) fellowship to be held at Massey College in the University of Toronto.
Study Subject(s): Fellowship is awarded in the field of journalism.
Course Level: This is an eight-month Fellowship program for a journalist.
Scholarship Provider: The Fellowship was formed through a generous grant from Scotiabank, and is coordinated by CJFE (Canadian Journalists for Free Expression).
The award can be taken at Canada
Best offer for candidates
User Review( votes)
The following criteria are necessary for successful candidates:
- Applicants should be mid-career (minimum 7 years’ experience) working journalists or editors in print, broadcast or online newspapers, magazines or news agencies in Latin America or the Caribbean. Applicants with fewer than 7 years experience will not be considered for this fellowship;
Applicants should be deemed by their employers to have the potential for advancement and be able to show a strong commitment to free expression in their work;
- Applicants must be able to communicate and study in English;
- Applicants must provide assurance of resuming their employment with their employer for at least one year after completing the Scotiabank/CJFE Fellowship;
- The employer must assure applicants of resumption of their employment upon completion of the Scotiabank/CJFE Fellowship.
- In meeting the Fellowship’s objective of dialogue between journalists in the Americas, Fellows and their media organization will be asked for feedback, within several months after their return, about the impact the Fellowship has had on the journalists’ work. Fellows will be expected to provide samples of work produced as a result of the Fellowship.
- The 2015/2016 Fellow must be prepared to begin the application for a Canadian travel visa immediately upon receiving his/her official acceptance.
Open for International Students: Fellowship is open to applicants from South America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Mexico.
Number of award(s): Not Known
Duration of award(s): The Scotiabank/CJFE Fellowship will underwrite for the two 4-month semesters (starting September 3).
What does it cover? Those selected are appointed Fellows-at-Large at the University of Toronto, with all the privileges of a Senior Resident of Massey College. The Scotiabank/CJFE Fellowship will underwrite for the two 4-month semesters (starting September 3): (1) the Fellow’s monthly stipend; (2) all university costs; (3) travel expenses up to the cost of ONE economy airfare to and from Toronto; (4) accommodation and meals; (5) travel expenses for organized trips taken during the program and (6) University Health Insurance.
Selection Criteria: Not Known
Notification: A selection committee, including representatives of CJFE, the University of Toronto and Massey College, will review applications and make a final decision. The successful candidate will be notified by March 20, 2015.
How to Apply: Completed application forms together with three letters of reference, a statement of past media experience and future plans, samples of work and supporting letter from the employer must arrive at the offices of CJFE in Toronto.
Application Deadline: Check back next year