The Calgary Institute for the Humanities is delighted to offer 2021-2020 Annual Fellowship Competition for researchers. Annual Fellows will be expected to conduct their research at the Institute.
For over forty years, the Calgary Institute for the Humanities has worked to foster humanities research of the highest order, to encourage interdisciplinary conversations between scholars, and to communicate the results of Humanities research to the greater community. The humanities as traditionally conceived encompass the study of languages, literature, history, philosophy, religion and the arts. At the CIH, we take a broader approach to the humanities, to include all forms of study that illuminate what it means to be human.
User Review( votes)
- Applications Deadline: November 23, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: It supports research in traditional Humanities disciplines such as languages and literature, history, religious studies, philosophy, as well as in philosophical and historical aspects of the social sciences, arts, sciences, and professional studies.
- Scholarship Award: Fellowships will normally provide partial release from teaching duties to facilitate concentration on a research project. Successful applicants must be free from administrative responsibilities and teach at a reduced course load during the Fellowship. Funding for partial release from teaching will be a matter of arrangement between the Institute and the Fellow’s Department and Faculty. No stipend will be paid directly to Fellows.
- Nationality: Fellowships are available for Canadian students.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Canada
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Fellowships are available for Canadian students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
The Calgary Institute for the Humanities invites applications for Fellowships to full time faculty at the University of Calgary to conduct research at the University during the academic year 2021-2020. All scholars with teaching appointments at the University that continue through the 2021-2020 academic year are eligible to apply. Awards are subject to budgetary approval.
Applicants whom the committee judge to be on the verge of a significant scholarly advancement may be considered for the Wayne O. McCready Resident Fellowship for an Emerging Scholar. Candidates will be considered from the general pool of applicants; no separate application or information is required. Similarly, the Naomi Lacey Fellowship will be awarded to an applicant from the general pool.
Full-time faculty of the University of Calgary who have previously held an Annual Fellowship are eligible for a second Annual Fellowship five years after the completion of the first Annual Fellowship. Applications from previous Annual Fellows will not be considered separately but will be considered within the pool of all applications. In addition to considering the merits of the new project, however, special attention will be paid to the productivity resulting from the first Fellowship.
How to Apply: Please submit your application to the Calgary Institute for the Humanities, BI 588, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4 or email cih-at-ucalgary.ca. Applications must contain (i) a curriculum vitae; (ii) a detailed statement of the research proposal with a five page maximum; (iii) a descriptive title and abstract of 150 words; and (iv) a brief statement from the applicant’s Head of Department indicating the Department is aware of the application. Scholars outside of the traditional humanities disciplines should make clear the humanistic orientation of their project.