ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences and the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific are offering Ethel Tory Language Scholarship for Middle Eastern and Modern European Languages in Australia. These scholarships are available for domestic and international students.
The objective of the award is to provide funds to cover documented travel costs, for eligible students undertaking full?time language study outside Australia, or full?time language study of Australian Indigenous Languages within Australia.
ANU is a world-leading university in Australia’s capital city, Canberra. Our location points to our unique history, ties to the Australian Government and special standing as a resource for the Australian people. Our focus on excellence in research and education ensures our graduates are in demand the world-over, well-prepared to address complex contemporary challenges.
- Applications Deadline: September 30, 2018
- Course Level: These awards are available to pursue Language programs.
- Study Subject: The award offered by the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific will support Asian language study in countries in the Asian region (excluding Australia). The award offered by the ANU College of Arts & Social Sciences will support study of Australian Indigenous, European and Middle Eastern Languages.
- Scholarship Award: The value of the award is stated in the letter of offer. The award will be paid in a single installment prior to the recipient’s travel departure, unless otherwise stated in the letter of offer.
The recipient is responsible for making payment of all tuition fees by the prescribed date as set out by the University each session. Recipients of this award are responsible for the costs of books, study materials, accommodation and all other costs of study.
- Nationality: Available for domestic and international students.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 30 awards are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply, but may not use the scholarship for study in their country of origin.
Entrance Requirements: The award will be available each year to a continuing ANU student who is:
- A domestic or international student; however, international students may not use the scholarship for study in their country of birth or citizenship, and,
- Currently studying language at an intermediate/advanced (or equivalent) level within their undergraduate degree as approved by the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship Committee.
- Applicants undertaking language study outside Australia (Asian, Australian Indigenous, European and Middle Eastern Languages) must study full time while overseas in one of the following categories:
- Language courses conducted off shore by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree;
- Language courses offered by an approved international higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree; or
- A program of study, offered by an approved international higher education provider, delivered in a foreign language and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree.
- Applicants undertaking language study of Australian Indigenous Languages within Australia must study full time in region in one of the following categories:
- Australian Indigenous Language courses conducted by ANU and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree; or
- Australian Indigenous Language courses offered by an approved higher education provider and approved for credit towards the student’s ANU degree.
- Previous recipients of the Ethel Tory Language Scholarship are ineligible to apply.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: 1. Complete and submit the online application form for the relevant round:
- Application for Round 1, 2018 (closes at midnight on 6 May 2018)
- Application for Round 2, 2018 (This round does not open until 7 May 2018 and closes at midnight on 23 September 2018).
- The following documents should be sent, as scanned attachments, to EthelTory.Language-at-anu.edu.au. Please state your name, degree and language to be studied in the subject line of the email.
- Itemised quotation of travel costs from a travel agent*
- Citizenship documentation (international students only)
- Access and equity supporting documentation, as required
* This can be an official quote on a letterhead, or an email from your travel agent, or a quote from an online booking page.