Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada is offering up to three media fellowships for the journalist to spend time in Asia, researching and preparing stories. These fellowships are open for Canadian citizens.
Successful applicants will receive up to two-night hotel accommodation in Hong Kong and fly Cathay Pacific’s Premium Economy Class departing from either Vancouver or Toronto to Hong Kong and one onward destination in Asia or Mainland China, operated by Cathay Pacific or sister airline, Dragonair.
Great offer for Canadian students to get $10,000 fund for study.
User Review( votes)
The Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada (APF Canada) is a not-for-profit organization focused on Canada’s relations with Asia.
- Application Deadline: Program currently suspended. Please check back in early 2021.
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for journalists to spend time in Asia, researching and preparing stories.
- Study Subject: The fellowship accepts creative proposals that examine important and emerging stories on issues impacting Asia and relevant to Canada. The broad themes for 2019-20, linked to APF Canada’s strategic pillars and activities, are:
- Innovation and Technology
- Trade and Investment
- Advancing Sustainability
- Building Asia Competency and Skills
- Nontraditional Security Threats
- Rights Issues
- Award: The Foundation will award up to three fellowships, each valued at up to C$10,000 for in-country travel and expenses, and coverage of trans-Pacific travel with support in part from Cathay Pacific Airways. The Media Fellowships are a component of the Foundation’s Research Grants Program, funded through the proceeds of an endowment established by the Government of Canada. All grants will be awarded on a competitive basis.
- Number of Awards: The Foundation will award up to three fellowships in 2019-20.
- Nationality: Citizens of Canada
- The award can be taken in Asia (Fellows will receive a two-night stopover and two-night hotel accommodation in Hong Kong and one onward destination in Asia or Mainland China, operated by Cathay Pacific or sister airline, Dragonair.)
- Eligible Countries: Citizens of Canada can apply for these Media Fellowships.
- Entrance Requirements: The Media Fellowship program is open to any journalist who is a citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, employed by a Canadian magazine, newspaper, news service, business publication, radio, television station, new media or multimedia outlet as a reporter, feature writer, columnist or as a freelancer. Applicants must have at least two years experience in their field and have an established history of publication in Canadian news media. Previous recipients have ranged from veteran reporters to promising journalists. Recipients of Media Fellowship awards from APF Canada are not eligible to apply until three years after their previous award.
How to Apply: Applications and questions may be emailed to- communications-at-asiapacific.ca or mailed. Applications should include:
- A 500-750-word (max.) proposal. The proposal should demonstrate the motivation and rationale for choosing a topic of interest and why it is important to the intended audience. It should include a detailed outline of concrete steps for the assignment, including a plan of execution and dissemination highlighting where the resulting articles/programs will be published or broadcast.
- A budget of up to C$7,000, including materials and other basic expenses, but excluding trans-Pacific travel. (NOTE: If an applicant does not reside in either of the Cathay Pacific departing cities (Toronto or Vancouver), the budget can include travel to one of these departing Canadian cities.)
- A current CV.
- Two examples of written or broadcast work. Where possible, provide links to the examples of previous work. Alternatively, please include copies as a single PDF or as digital media files.
- A letter from a prospective editor/producer, stating a willingness, in principle, to run stories resulting from this trip, subject to normal editorial judgment.