The Harvard Kennedy School is inviting applications for Bacon Environmental Fellowships. These fellowships are open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs.
The Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Program brings together emerging leaders dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
User Review( votes)
The Center for Public Leadership at Harvard Kennedy School is dedicated to excellence in leadership education and scholarship. Through teaching and research, we are preparing this generation with the insights and practical skills necessary to address the world’s most pressing problems.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
- Application Deadline: December 3, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded to study the subjects offered by the university.
Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are awarded a full tuition grant and health fees for up to two years, depending on the length of their graduate degree program.
Fellows are eligible for a stipend up to $10,000 for up to two years depending on their master’s degree program.
Applicants will be considered based on their excellent academic credentials and a demonstrated focus on developing leadership abilities to impact environmental public policy and practice. CPL seeks a diverse cohort of fellows with emerging leaders from the government, business, and NGO communities dedicated to preserving and enhancing our shared environment.
Fellows will participate in a robust cocurricular program offered by the Center for Public Leadership.
This fellowship is open to applicants entering their first year of study in any of the Harvard Kennedy School’s masters’ degree programs. Students pursuing a joint degree at HKS and another Harvard graduate or professional school or those in concurrent programs at other approved universities or schools may also apply.
- Number of Awards: Not Known
- Nationality: Citizens of all nationalities
- The award can be taken in the USA
- Eligible Countries: Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: Award decisions will be primarily merit based but with a consideration of financial need as determined by the HKS Student Financial Services. The Fellowship ExperienceLouis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellows are a part of the Center for Public Leadership’s community of graduate fellows and will participate in an enriching co-curricular experience designed to enhance their skills and engage their development as emerging leaders in environmental public policy and practice. The co-curricular program typically includes a welcome retreat, a speaker series, workshops and seminars, a field experience and opportunities to connect with other Center for Public Leadership fellows and alumni.
Commitment to Nondiscrimination
As a matter of commitment, policy, and law, Harvard Kennedy School does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, color, race, age, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, intellectual focus, disability, or veteran status. The School strongly believes diversity enhances the value of all its activities, from research and teaching to degree programs and public events. The School encourages applications from candidates traditionally underrepresented in public service leadership positions and acknowledges a special responsibility to train leaders from groups underrepresented in public policy and management.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: Step 1: Apply to Harvard Kennedy School: Application deadline is Monday, December 3, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Step 2: Apply for the Fellowship: Application deadline is early February, 2019.
Applicants must submit:
- A biographical profile, not to exceed 150 words. (This profile should be short, concise and in the third person.) Please include the following highlights: an introductory sentence including your name; the degree you are pursuing at Harvard Kennedy School in addition to any joint degree at Harvard or concurrent degree program at another graduate or professional institution; where you are from and where you currently reside; an overview and highlights of your relevant work/professional experience; significant leadership achievements including awards or certifications; and educational credentials with the degrees earned and institutions attended.
- A document containing written responses to two essay prompts focused on your passion and experience for preserving and enhancing our shared environment. The purpose of this fellowship is to provide financial support and leadership development experiences for people who are committed to careers in environmental public policy. Many people are interested in environmental issues, but this fellowship is limited to those who are committed to serving as environmental leaders in government, NGO or business. Please state your commitment in 200 words or less.
Finalists for the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship will be interviewed in early March, 2019 by the Louis Bacon Environmental Leadership Fellowship Selection Committee.