Columbia University is offering a free online course on Data, Models and Decisions in Business Analytics. ?Students should have a working knowledge of Python and familiarity with basic programming concepts in some procedural programming language.
In this twelve-week course, applicants will learn fundamental tools and techniques for using data towards making business decisions in the face of uncertainty. This course will start on February 10, 2020.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 12 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Columbia University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $375
Session: Course starts on February 10, 2020
Columbia University is one of the world’s most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields.
About This Course
The main objectives of this course are the following:
- Introduce fundamental techniques towards a principled approach for data-driven decision-making.
- Quantitative modelling of the dynamic nature of decision problems using historical data, and
- Learn various approaches for decision-making in the face of uncertainty
Topics covered include probability, statistics, regression, stochastic modelling, and linear, nonlinear and discrete optimization.
Why Take This Course?
In today’s world, managerial decisions are increasingly based on data-driven models and analysis using statistical and optimization methods that have dramatically changed the way businesses operate in most domains including service operations, marketing, transportation, and finance.
- Fundamental concepts from probability, statistics, stochastic modelling, and optimization to develop systematic frameworks for decision-making in a dynamic setting.
- How to use historical data to learn the underlying model and pattern.
- Optimization methods and software to solve decision problems under uncertainty in business applications.
Vineet Goyal is an Associate Professor in the Industrial Engineering and Operations Research department at Columbia.
Costis Maglaras is the David and Lyn Silfen Professor of Business at Columbia University and currently serves as the chair of the Decision, Risk & Operations division of the school.
Undergraduate probability, statistics and linear algebra.
Students should have a working knowledge of Python and familiarity with basic programming concepts in some procedural programming language.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edx account to signup
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- Edx offers honour code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and xseries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the login button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edx password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)