Massachusetts Institute of Technology is offering a free online course on Entrepreneurial Land Redevelopment Approach: Land Readjustment. This course examines and presents processes of designing and implementing land readjustment in the context of developing countries.
In this five week course, applicants will explore land readjustment as an alternative to conventional approaches of assembling land for urbanization. This course will start on October 1, 2019.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on October 1, 2019
Massachusetts Institute of Technology — a coeducational, privately endowed research university founded in 1861 — is dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century.
About This Course
Land readjustment is an alternative land-assembly approach to government compulsory purchase (often referred to as eminent domain) and voluntary market transaction. In the land readjustment process, a public or private agency invites property owners to become stakeholders in a redevelopment project and to contribute their lands to the project as investment capital. In return, each property owner receives a land site of at least equal value in the vicinity of the original site upon project completion.
Why Take This Course?
The conventional approaches to land assembly are often conflict-ridden. Through this course, practitioners can add another viable option to their toolbox by learning about land readjustment as an alternative approach to urbanization in developing countries.
- Increase your awareness and knowledge of land readjustment as a tool for facilitating urbanization and land redevelopment in developing countries;
- Provide you with techniques and strategies to design and implement land readjustment projects;
- Expose you to selected international experiences of land readjustment; and
- Facilitate cross-fertilization of ideas between you and other global policymakers, practitioners, and scholars who are interested in adopting land readjustment in their home country.
Dr. Yu Hung Hong
Dr. Yu Hung Hong, Director of the Samuel Tak Lee MIT Real Estate Entrepreneurship Laboratory, is the principle instructor for the course.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)