The University of Birmingham, the Jubilee Centre is offering a free online course on What is Character? Virtue Ethics in Education. This course will help you understand a character, character education, virtue ethics and the role they play in both individual and societal flourishing.
In this two week course, applicants will explore important questions about character education and how it contributes to individual and societal flourishing.
User Review( votes)
Course At Glance
Length: 2 weeks
Effort: 4 hours/week
Subject: What is Character? Virtue Ethics in Education
Institution: University of Birmingham, The Jubilee Centre and Future learn
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Date to be announced
University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham is a public research university, consistently listed as a leading UK university and ranked among the top 100 in the world.
The Jubilee Centre
The Jubilee Centre, part of the University of Birmingham, is a pioneering interdisciplinary research centre focussing on character, virtues and values in the interest of human flourishing.
About This Course
This free online course offers you the opportunity to understand virtues and the role they play in helping both individuals and society flourish. We will tap into this increasing interest and answer important questions such as what is character and character education, why is it important and can it be taught? For those interested in extending their learning it will also provide a taster course for the exciting new MA in Character Education run by the University of Birmingham.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Develop an understanding of what character education is and how it can be the basis of individual and societal flourishing
- Evaluate the philosophical basis for character education
- Identify and define the virtues that constitute good character
- Demonstrate the ability to distinguish between how a character can be both caught and taught in educational settings
- Apply and implement key approaches to developing character in young people
- Discuss the implications of what you have learned during this course in relation to your own environment and/or current affairs
This course will help you understand a character, character education, virtue ethics and the role they play in both individual and societal flourishing.
It will be of particular interest to those who wish to explore how the development of character in young people can be applied in educational settings.
No prior knowledge of the subject area is required. This course has relevance across the world.
Dr Tom Harrison
Director of Education: Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues
Programme Director: MA Character Education
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Sign Up At FutureLearn
- Select a course and Join
- Once a course has started, the applicant will be able to access the course material
- After the start date, students will be able to access the course by following the Go To Course link on My Courses page.
- Applicants can buy, to show that they have completed a FutureLearn course.
- On some FutureLearn courses, learners will be able to pay to take an exam to qualify for a Statement of Attainment. (These are university-branded, printed certificates that provide proof of learning on the course topic(s)).