Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in the world.
These are available for an undergraduate degree program in abroad including Africa. Boren programs are awarded preference for countries, languages, and fields of study critical to U.S. national security
Boren Scholarships promote long term linguistic and cultural immersion and therefore study abroad proposals for two or more semesters are strongly encouraged. Preference will be given to undergraduate applicants proposing at least 6 months overseas.
Application Deadline: February 5, 2020, at 5:00 pm EST
- Applicants from the USA can apply for these awards.
- Boren Fellowships are for graduate students. You are eligible to apply for Boren Fellowships if you are:
- A U.S. citizen at the time of application
- Either matriculated in or applying to a graduate degree program at a U.S. college or university located within the United States and accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Boren Fellows must remain matriculated in their graduate programs for the duration of the fellowship and may not graduate until the fellowship is complete.
- Planning an overseas program that meets home institution standards in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand. Boren Fellowships are not for study in the United States.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Consult with your Boren campus representative about your on-campus deadline and requirements. Review the How to Apply section of the website. Proceed to the online application login and click on “Register New User.” After you enter your email address and a password, the system will email you link from which you can access your application in the future.
- Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Application System Tips
- The Boren application includes eight sections, as well as a letter of recommendation section, review application, application summary, and submit an application.
- To view the entire application in order, click “next” through the buttons at the bottom of each page.
- You may only use the right navigation to skip from section to section once you have saved at least one field in a particular section. The save button is in the upper right-hand corner of the application. Therefore, you may find it in your interest to use the right-hand navigation after doing this for each section. You can always change your response later.
- The application will save whenever you click either “Save” or “Next”, or when you move to another section of the application.
Maximum awards are:
- $8,000 for a summer program (special initiative for STEM students only; 8 weeks minimum)
- $10,000 for a semester
- $20,000 for a 6 – 12 months