Caltech is offering a free online course on Principles of Economics with Calculus. This course is taught concurrently to Caltech and online students.
This course provides a quantitative and model-based introduction to basic economic principles and teaches how to apply them to make sense of a wide range of real-world problems. This course will start on January 27, 2020.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 10 weeks
Effort: 9 hours pw
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: Caltech and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on January 27, 2020
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary people seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future. Caltech’s mission is to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research integrated with education.
About This Course
This course provides a quantitative and model-based introduction to basic economic principles, and teaches how to apply them to make sense of a wide range of real world problems. Examples of applications include predicting the impact of technological changes in market prices, calculating the optimal gasoline tax, and measuring the value of new products. This is a real Caltech class. It will be taught concurrently to Caltech and on-line students. This has two implications. On the costs side: the class is challenging, makes extensive use of calculus, and will demand significant effort. On the benefit side: successful completion of the class will provide you with an in-depth understanding of basic economics, and will permanently change the way you see the world.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Understand, apply, and analyze calculus-based economic models
- Translate economic principles to the investigation of a wide range of real world problems
- Elaborate on an in-depth understanding of basic economics and its applications
Antonio is the Bing Professor of Neuroscience, Behavioral Biology and Economics at Caltech. His laboratory studies the computational and neurobiological basis of simple choice (e.g., apple or orange?), self-control problems (e.g., apple or cake?) and altruistic behavior (e.g., new car or charity?).
Good understanding of basic (univariate) calculus.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)