Applications are open for the Cifar Azrieli Global Scholars Research Program for International Students in Canada, 2020. this program is open to the applicants who can be from anywhere in the world, must hold a PhD (or equivalent) and be within the first five years of a full-time academic position.
The CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars program provides funding and support to help scholars build their network and develop essential skills to become the next generation of research leaders.
The Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) is an institute of advanced study that creates and maintains global research networks working on complex areas of inquiry.CIFAR staff supports the research of nearly 350 researchers, of which about half are located in Canada while the rest are located abroad.
- Course Level: The grant is available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: A program for early-career research leaders in the natural, biomedical and social sciences and the humanities: the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars.
- Award: CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholars receive:
- $100,000 CAD in unrestricted research support
- A two-year term in a CIFAR research program, a global network of top-tier research leaders. Learn what it’s like to be a CIFAR Fellow
- Opportunities to network, collaborate and form a community with colleagues from diverse disciplines
- Mentorship from a senior researcher within a CIFAR research program
- Specialized leadership and communication skills training, and support to put their skills into action
- Number of scholarship: Not Known
The award can be taken in Canada
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity :
- Hold a PhD (or equivalent).
- Be employed at an institution of higher education or research and be within the first five years of a full-time academic position, including responsibility for both conducting an independent research program and supervising/teaching graduate or postdoctoral trainees.
- Typically, applicants will be an Assistant Professor (or the equivalent in other academic systems).
- The applicant’s position must be secure for the duration of the CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar active term (July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2022).
- The applicant’s start date in this position must be no earlier than May 1, 2015. Note that special consideration may be given to those who have taken parental leave or those with exceptional circumstances.
- Note: Postdoctoral fellows are not eligible to apply to this program.
- Engage in research that complements or contributes to the themes and goals of an eligible CIFAR research program
- Demonstrate an outstanding level of research achievement and the promise of future impact in their field, as evidenced by the quality of publications, awards received, and statements by referees.
- Be interested in engaging across disciplines, as well as sectors beyond academia, to enrich and extend the impact of their research.
- Be available to attend a two-day in-person interview on n June 18-19, 2020 in Toronto, Canada. The interview consists of a series of individual and interactive group activities among invited candidates. In-person participation is required to ensure a fair and complete evaluation. Note that travel costs will be covered by CIFAR.
- An applicant must have a valid passport, and if required, be able to obtain travel visas, to attend the in-person interview meeting, in addition to other CIFAR meetings in Canada and other countries around the world (2-4 times per year).
- Be fluent in spoken and written English.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities can apply for the opportunity .
College Admission Requirement
- Entrance Requirement: Applicant must hold a PhD or equivalent degree.
- English Language Requirement: Applicants must be fluent in spoken and written English.
How to Apply:
Applications are submitted online and must include two to three letters of reference.
In 2020, the CIFAR research programs eligible to accept applications are:
- Child & Brain Development
- Learning in Machines & Brains
- Quantum Information Science
- Quantum Materials
Application Deadline: February 5, 2020 – 11:59 PM Pacific Time Zone (UTC -8)