The University of Sydney is offering Communication Skills free online course for university success. This specialization is aimed at preparing students for undergraduate study in an English-speaking university.
This course is a high-level academic skills course designed to increase your level of academic preparedness prior to commencement of your studies in an English-medium university. The course will start on January 1, 2018.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Institution: University of Sydney and Coursera
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Course Starts on January 1, 2018
The University of Sydney is one of the world’s leading comprehensive research and teaching universities, consistently ranked in the top 1 percent of universities in the world. In 2015, we were ranked 45 in the QS World University Rankings, and 100 percent of our research was rated at above, or well above, world standard in the Excellence in Research for Australia report.
About This Course
This specialization is aimed at preparing students for undergraduate study in an English-speaking university. The course equips you for full participation and engagement with your studies by building awareness and understanding of the core values and expectations of academic culture, and providing you with practical strategies to apply to your studies. In this course, you will learn how to develop your Communication Skills to help you achieve success in your university studies.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Recognise the importance of communication in communities of practice at university
- Understand contexts of communication at university and associated expectations
- Communicate clearly across a variety of different contexts and to a wide range of audiences by adapting communicative styles appropriately
- Demonstrate, negotiate, and further understanding through spoken, written, visual, and conversational modes
- Effectively formulate arguments and communicate research findings through the process of researching, composing, and editing
- Confidently engage in constructive and critical dialogue with respect and professionalism
This course is a high-level academic skills course designed to increase your level of academic preparedness prior to commencement of your studies in an English-medium university. The course equips you for full participation and engagement with your studies by building awareness and understanding of the core values and expectations of academic culture.
Katherine Olston, Deputy Director (Digital Learning), University of Sydney Centre for English Teaching
Lydia Dutcher, Education Manager, Graduate Programs, Centre for English Teaching
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website
- Create a Coursera account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.