Orodata Science and the African Data Hub are inviting interested journalists to apply for its Community Journalism Fellowships programme. Applications for the academic year 2022-2023 are now open.
The scholarship is open to journalists in Nigeria. It will allow the applicants to participate in a Data Journalism Bootcamp and award them grants, capacity development, and tools to produce in-depth data-driven stories that are investigative on issues affecting communities in different parts of the country. They must make a pitch to be considered.
Worthy offer for students in Nigeria.
User Review( votes)
Orodata Science is a tech innovation catalyst wielding tech-for-good to deploy innovative programmes that deliver on real-world impact. It collaborates across media, government, and civil society to deploy capacity-enhancing initiatives that revamp institutions to become efficient in service for the common good.
Orodata Science’s mission is to make the world a better place by continuously improving access to information and data literacy and promoting the efficient use of data to break barriers, reduce inequality and improve systems. Its passion is empowering people to forge sensible discoveries that create real change.
Application Deadline: 4th August 2022 is the last date to apply.
- University or Organization: African Data Hub and Orodata Science
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Short course
- Award: Educational Benefits
- Number of Awards: Limited
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: Domestic
- The award can be taken in Nigeria.
- Eligible Countries: Nigerian nationals are eligible to apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: The applicants can apply to participate in a Data Journalism Bootcamp.
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicant must be a journalist based in Nigeria.
- The applicants must prepare a pitch highlighting the critical issue they want to focus on, why it is relevant to the program and the extent to which it is under-reported.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: The applicants must be active journalists in Nigeria. The scholarship application form must be submitted separately. All applicants will be considered.
- Supporting Documents: Submit the following:
- The pitch should highlight the key issue you want to focus on, why it is relevant to the program, and the extent to which it is under-reported.
- Applicants are expected to pitch stories in the communities in the states where they reside.
- Applicants are expected to participate in the 3-day Data Journalism Bootcamp online. Dates to be confirmed.
- Indicate why you are the right person to report it and the access you already have.
- Include a letter or email from the editor of a publication interested in publishing your story.
- Admission Requirements: The applicants are expected to participate in the 3-day Data Journalism Bootcamp online.
- Language Requirement: The applicants must know the language used to communicate at the Bootcamp.
The candidates selected by the African Data Hub for this scholarship will be awarded the following benefits:
- The fellowship will provide a grant sum for each fellow to support their investigations.
- The fellows will also receive advice from mentors to improve their journalistic skills and access to the entire ADH Community.
- The fellowship will provide editorial and technical support such as data research and analysis, data visualizations, infographics, and mapping for the stories produced by the fellows.