DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is happy to announce the Leadership for Africa scholarships programme for the academic session 2023/2024. This initiative is intended to assist young national scholars and refugees in earning a master’s degree in Germany.
The study programme is available for master’s studies in Germany in all fields except medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, arts, and architecture. The people who get scholarships will also get extra training in good governance, civil society, and career development.
Nice opportunity for international students to complete their studies in Germany.
User Review( votes)
The DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) supports worldwide academic exchange and educational cooperation with developing nations through various funding and projects as a publicly supported, self-governing association of German higher education institutions. During a period of conflict and displacement in several African countries, this programme aims to contribute to the education of future leaders who will be critical to the development of their home countries.
Why would you like to join this program? The award intends to support future leaders and academic success and advancement because they will be crucial to the continued development of their home nations. This programme is required and must be done on top of the regular studies.
Application Deadline: The last date to apply for this scholarship is June 9, 2023.
- University or Organization: DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
- Department: N/A
- Course Level: Master’s degree
- Award: Varies
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: Not specified
- Nationality: Refugees from Chad, DR Congo, Niger, Nigeria, and Togo, as well as citizens of these countries residing in their home country
- The award can be taken in Germany
- Eligible Countries: Chad, DR Congo, Niger, Nigeria, Togo
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded in any subject offered by a public or state-recognized university in Germany, except for Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Law, Arts and Architecture
- Admissible Criteria: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Hold refugee status in their host countries (for refugees only), or be citizens of Chad, DR Congo, Niger, Nigeria, or Togo residing in their home country.
- Have completed a Bachelor’s degree at the time of application.
- Fulfill the necessary qualifications for Master’s studies in Germany.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Interested applicants can apply online through the DAAD portal.
- Supporting Documents: A complete application package includes the following supporting documents:
- DAAD application form
- Letter of motivation
- Study proposal (in the DAAD form “Study Course Profile”)
- Two letters of recommendation from university teachers
- Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript
- Language certificates (German and/or English, if available)
- Other supporting documents, such as a CV, list of publications, and proof of employment, if applicable
- Admission Requirements: Applicants must follow the following application requirements:
- At the time of application, you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree that meets the standards of German institutions for admission to a Master’s programme.
- A Bachelor’s degree in at least the second-class upper division is required.
- In general, no more than 6 years should have passed since the last academic degree was completed (see key information for scholarship applicants / Part A, point 2).
- Language skills in English or German
- Concerning Refugees: a copy of a refugee ID card issued before April 3, 2022
- Language Requirement: Applicants must fulfill the following language requirements:
- Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of German or English, depending on the language of instruction of the chosen study program.
- German language course (up to 6 months) in Germany before the start of the study program, including the coverage of the test fees for a German language certificate (TestDaF or DSH test), pocket money, and accommodation (only during the language course). The DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long, depending on German language skills and study requirements. Participation in a language course is compulsory.
- Monthly scholarship rate payments of 934 EURO
- Adequate health, accident, and private/personal liability insurance in Germany
- Travel allowance
- Yearly study allowance
- Additional mandatory training program LEAD!
- If applicable, monthly rent subsidy and monthly allowance for accompanying family members (spouse and/or children).