e8 programme in Sustainable Energy Development
Masters level or Post-Doctoral
What is the purpose of the e8 scholarship?
The purpose of the e8 scholarship is to support outstanding students pursuing advanced studies in sustainable energy development and to encourage meaningful contributions to the collective body of knowledge about this subject.
User Review( votes)
The e8 considers an outstanding student to be one
- who graduates with excellent grades in the top 20% of her/his class
- who is determined to advance her/his knowledge and understanding
- who has a history of community involvement
- who is committed to sustainable energy
- who is committed to return and contribute to her/his home country
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply for this application , students must
- plan to undertake studies at the Masters level or Post-Doctoral level in areas directly related to sustainable energy development
- be citizens of the developing countries and territories identified for OECD official development aid in the DAC List of ODA Recipients effective as of 2006
What are the levels of financial assistance and the duration of The grants?
Scholarships of US$ 23,000 per year for up to two years are offered for Masters level students. Scholarships of US$ 30,000 per year for up to two years are offered for Post-Doctoral students. Up to two Post-Doc and ten Masters financial aid positions will be awarded annually.
How can I apply?
Information and the application form can be obtained online by clicking on this link to the Application Forms page or from the e8 General Secretariat, 505 de Maisonneuve blvd, Lobby Montreal,Quebec,Canada H3A 3C2
, Canada, or +1 (514) 392-8876 (tel), +1 (514) 392-8900 (fax) or by e-mail.
What will I need for my application?
All applicants must provide:
- Proof of citizenship. Refer to the country eligibility requirements.
- Letter of acceptance from an approved academic institution to undertake studies in sustainable energy development
- Copies of transcripts for degrees and final grades
- Curriculum Vitae
- Application Form fully completed
- Two letters of reference, one academic and one personal. You are responsible for contacting the references.Academic
Your academic reference must be from a person who can discuss your academic and/or professional competence.The academic letter of reference should be dated and speak to the following points:– The reference provider’s status and relationship to you
– Your academic ranking and/or professional accomplishments
– Your interest in sustainable energy development
– Your maturity and judgement
– Your ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, and to interact productively with individuals and groups
– Your professional future, including possible impacts the program may have
– Your interest and experience in applying your expertise to the issues of sustainable energy development.
Your personal reference must be dated and come from a person who can discuss other personal qualities or interests that make you especially qualified to receive the program.
- Applicant Statement
If you are a Masters applicant, you must submit a statement about your qualifications for the opportunity and your career goals. It should not exceed 1,000 words in length and should cover the following points:- Why you desire the program
– Your qualifications
– The studies you intend to pursue and how they relate to sustainable energy development
– How your Masters studies will affect your community and your career and ultimately, the field of sustainable energy development.
– Your commitment to return to your countryPost-Doctoral Applicants
If you are a Post-Doctoral applicant, you must submit a statement about your qualifications for the opportunity and your career goals. It should not exceed 500 words in length and should cover the following points:
– Why you desire the program
– Your qualifications
– Your research interest and how it relates to sustainable energy development
– How your Post-Doctoral research will affect the field of knowledge on sustainable energy development, your community and your career
– Your commitment to return to your country
- Research Plan (Post-Doctoral Applicants only)
Clearly and concisely, describe the research relating to sustainable energy development that you intend to pursue. Use a maximum of 2,000 words (excluding the Abstract). You may use additional pages for figures and references. Your statement should demonstrate your understanding of the research principles necessary to pursue your objectives. Present your plan with clear hypotheses or questions to be addressed in the research and include:- Abstract
– Principal objectives
– Background information (broader research or other activities of which the research would be a part)
– Data sources
– Methodology or approach
– Expected results
– Significance or application of results to sustainable energy developmentIf you have not yet formulated a plan of research, your statement should include:
– Description of two or three research questions related to sustainable energy development and any link to your previous research
– Analysis of how you think these questions may best be answered
– Description of your methodology and data sources
Applications for the Post-Doctoral programme must be received by the e8 General Secretariat by December 5, 2008. Applications for the Masters programme must be received by March 20, 2009.