International students have to clear one or many examinations to study in USA like TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT etc. and Subject specific like MCAT, PCAT, VCAT, DAT etc.
The United States of America is one of the most popular study destinations among international students. The quality features which support this are – it is a home to large number of recognized educational institutes, provider of quality education, vast resources and world class facilities, numerous courses being offered in almost every field of study and diverse culture etc.
User Review( vote)
Apparently, every year, its educational institutes manage to find place among top ranked colleges/universities list from across the world. Over 3,300 accredited colleges and universities offer undergraduate and graduate courses, making it into a dream study destination for international students.
If you are aspiring to gain entry into educational institute of one of the best study destinations, know that procedure to get admission is highly competitive at the top colleges and universities in the US.
Eligibility Criteria: Since educational institutes in the US are reputed world-over for their quality education, they can have their pick from international students applying there.Due to this educational institutes also have a strict set of eligibility criteria, so only exceptional talent gets admission.
- It’s mandatory to provide proof of your English Language skills by appearing in tests like TOEFL or IELTS. Even if you have qualified these tests as per college/university standards, don’t be surprised if institute ask you to go through their own entrance test.
- The candidate must score good marks in other important entrance tests such as GRE, GMAT, SAT etc.
- Letter of recommendation from at least one faculty member from your previous school/college is required. Also, certificates of achievement and proof of participation in extra-curricular activities will be required.
- The statement of purpose or essay (as mentioned in the admission form) is also mandatory. Also, your essay should be such that it stands out in the crowd.
- If you are applying for an undergraduate course, then you should have completed 10+2. To apply for graduate level courses, candidate must have completed at least 16 years of education.
- Providing proof of your finances is required to assure college/university authorities that you will be able to carry on with your studies.
Certain tests US colleges/universities can ask international students to take before you are officially granted access into the institution:
- If you are aspiring to pursue undergraduate course then college/university might ask you to take SAT Reasoning and Subject Tests to prove your talent.
- Students aspiring to take admission in graduate course could be asked to take one of the following (or more as per college/university requirement) tests: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (General Test), Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (Subject Test), or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
- If you are taking admission in some creative course like Fine Arts, then you might be exempt from admission test scores (but passing TOEFL is must). Though, authorities can ask you to submit creative material for analysis of your talent.
- For Medicine: Medical College Admission Test (MCAT)
- For Pharmacy: Pharmacy College Admissions Tests (PCAT)
- Dental Admission Test (DAT) for dental course students
- Veterinary Aptitude Test (VCAT)
- For Law Students: Law School Admission Test (LSAT)
- Some other tests are: Certified Public Account Accountant Examination (CPA); United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE); Council for Graduate of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).
In US educational system is not centralized; this provides educational institutions right to decide what courses will be offered along with guidelines for admission. Also, it’s not legally required for any degree-offering institute in US to be accredited from certain government office. Due to this, you should thoroughly check in advance if a degree from institute picked by you will be recognized by your country.