The Erasmus Mundus EMLex provides 13 scholarships for the intake of 2018. The European Master in Lexicography (EMLex) is a unique master’s degree programme which prepares students for lexicographic work in theory and practice.
The scholarship aims at former, current and future EMLex students and teachers as well as everybody interested in lexicography.
The Erasmus Mundus EMLex offers an excellent international programme of study which is globally unique and highly attractive due to various activities. During the two-year programme, students will spend the second semester together with all other students at one university, which changes every year.
Application deadline: March 1, 2018
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing masters programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of lexicography.
Scholarship Award: The scholarship includes
- Contribution to subsistence costs: 1,000€ per month for the entire duration of the EMLex study programme (24 months maximum)
- Contribution to the travel and installation costs:
For scholarship holders resident in a programme country: 1,000€ per year for travel costs
For scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at less than 4,000km from Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg: 2,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
For scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at 4,000km or more from Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg: 3,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- The scholarship also includes participation costs for the EMJMD-EMLex. These participation costs cover all additional costs which occur during your studies, including tuition fees, health insurance, library costs, administrative costs, cultural events, etc.
Note: If you study in your home country you will not receive a contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of your stay there. If you are a partner country student and study at Stellenbosch you will only receive a contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of three months of your stay.
Number of Scholarships: EMLex provides 13 scholarships for the intake of 2018. This intake starts in winter term 2018/19, with courses starting either in September or October 2018 (depending on the home university). 75% of the scholarships are given to partner country students; 25% are given to programme country students.
- Partner Countries: non-EU countries with the exception of Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
- Programme Countries: 28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland.
If you come from a partner country and have carried out your main activities (studies, work, training) in any programme country for at least 12 months in total during the previous five years, you are considered as an applicant from a programme country.
Scholarship can be taken at Partner Universities
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a Higher Educational Institution (HEI) degree in the area of
- (Computational/Applied) Linguistics
- (Foreign) Languages
- Book Studies / Library and Information Science
- Or other relevant disciplines, subject to the consent of and the approval by the Consortium’s admission committee.
If your HEI degree is still in progress, you may nevertheless submit an application. The restriction, in this case, will be that the HEI degree certificate is available before the EMLex study course begins.
English Language Requirements: Proficiency in English and German is essential for participation because the courses will be taught in these two languages. Language requirements are either:
- At least level B1 in English and at least level B2 in German or
- At least level B1 in German and at least level B2 in English
Proficiency in English (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- OnSet-Englisch. This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.ondaf.de/ondaf/info/home.jsp)
- British Council (IELTS): 4.5 – 5 // 5.5 – 6.5
- Trinity (ISE Foundation): ISE I // ISE II
- TOEFL iBT: at least 42 // at least 72
- Cambridge: Preliminary Certificate // First, Advanced or Proficiency Certificate
- English studies / Anglistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities in the EMLex programme
Proficiency in German (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- OnSet-Deutsch (former “OnDaF”). This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.ondaf.de/ondaf/info/home.jsp)
- Goethe-Institut: Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Österreich-Institut: ÖSD-Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut
- Germanistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities of the EMLex programme
- The language certificates must not be older than two years.
- No other documents can be accepted as confirmation of English and German proficiency.
If there are any remaining places to study after the Erasmus Mundus places have been attributed, it is possible to study EMLex without Erasmus Mundus. In order to get a study place, students have to apply locally at one of the partner universities. The summer semester abroad for students with a local application is funded by the Erasmus+ programme. This means that the summer semester abroad is only partially financed. In addition, all other advantages of the Erasmus Mundus programme (for example exemption of local tuition fees, health insurance, teaching materials, cultural events) are not included. In total, you can only study at two different universities, i.e. you spend the 1st, 3rd and 4th semester at the same university. You will not receive an Erasmus Mundus certificate but an EMLex certificate. Universidade de Santiago de Compostela is not part of it.
How to Apply:
For applications at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg: Applications for the EMLex at Erlangen university must be submitted via the Master’ s office. Please use the online application portal for Master’s programmes at the FAU Erlangen and select the programme “Lexikographie (Master of Arts)”.