The Erasmus Mundus EMLex provides 15 scholarships for the intake of 2019. The European Master in Lexicography (EMLex) is a unique master’s degree programme which prepares students for lexicographic work in theory and practice.
the program aims at former, current and future EMLex students and teachers as well as everybody interested in lexicography.
User Review( votes)
The Erasmus Mundus EMLex offers an excellent international programme of study which is globally unique and highly attractive due to various activities. During the two-year programme, students will spend the second semester together with all other students at one university, which changes every year.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
Course Level: The studentships are available for pursuing masters programme.
Study Subject: The studentships are awarded in the field of lexicography.
Award: the program includes
- contribution to subsistence costs: 1,000 € per month for the entire duration of the EMLex study programme (24 months maximum)
- contribution to travel and installation costs:
- for scholarship holders resident in a programme country: 1,000 € per year for travel costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at less than 4,000 km from the coordinating institution (Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg): 2,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- for scholarship holders resident in a partner country whose location is situated at 4,000 km or more from the coordinating institution (Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg): 3,000 € per year for travel costs + 1,000 € for installation costs
- the program also includes participation costs for the EMJMD-EMLex (see point 2 for details). These participation costs cover all additional costs which occur during your studies. They particularly include tuition fees, health insurance, library costs, administrative costs, cultural events.
Note: If you study in your home country you will not receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of your stay there. If you are a partner country student and study at Stellenbosch you will only receive contribution to subsistence costs for the duration of three months of your stay.
Number of Awards: EMLex provides 15 scholarships for the intake of 2019/20. Depending on the home university, courses will start either in September or October 2019. 75% of The bursaries are given to partner country students; 25% are given to programme country students.
- Partner Countries: non-EU countries with the exception of Turkey, Macedonia, Serbia, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland
- Programme Countries: 28 EU member states + Turkey, Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Liechtenstein and Iceland.
If you come from a partner country and have carried out your main activities (studies, work, training) in any programme country for at least 12 months in total during the previous five years, you are considered as an applicant from a programme country.
The award can be taken at Partner Universities
- Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a Higher Educational Institution (HEI) degree in the area of
- (Computational/Applied) Linguistics
- (Foreign) Languages
- Book Studies / Library and Information Science
- or other relevant disciplines, subject to the consent of and the approval by the Consortium’s admission committee.
If your HEI degree is still in progress, you may nevertheless submit an application. The restriction in this case will be that the HEI degree certificate is available before the start of the EMLex study course.
Students (i.e. scholarship holders and students on a self-financing basis) are selected for the EMJMD EMLex programme on the basis of their performance and excellence in their previous studies. All applications are first screened for fulfilling the following eligibility criteria:
- having met the application deadline
- completeness of the application
- proof of the necessary language proficiency
- completion of a first HEI degree (see “degree” section above)
All applications that meet the eligibility criteria mentioned under section 4.1. and 4.2. are then assessed against the following selection criteria:
- Grade and quality of HEI degree(s)
- Motivation letter
- Competence in linguistic analysis
- Lexicographic/terminographic knowledge and experience
- Language proficiency
Note: Candidates may be interviewed via video or phone conference.
- English Language Requirements: Competences in textual reception that enable the students to understand texts in their field of studies and to take an active part in specialist discussions are absolutely necessary for a successful participation in the EMJMD EMLex master course. Instruction languages are English and German as lectures will always be held in one of these languages. Language skills must be proven by the respective language certificates.Note:
- In your application you have to document text production skills in one of the two instruction languages that correspond to at least level B2.
- At the beginning of your studies, you have to have good text reception skills in both languages.
- Language certificates cannot be older than two years.
- No other documents than the above-mentioned will be accepted as evidence for the necessary language requirements.
Proficiency in English (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Englisch. This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- British Council (IELTS): 4.5 – 5 // 5.5 – 6.5
- Trinity (ISE Foundation): ISE I // ISE II
- TOEFL iBT: at least 42 // at least 72
- Cambridge: Preliminary Certificate // First, Advanced or Proficiency Certificate
- English studies / Anglistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities in the EMLex programme
Proficiency in German (for non-native speakers) must be certified by one of the following institutions for at least the given level (equivalent to B1 // B2):
- onSet-Deutsch (former “OnDaF”). This test can be taken at a licensed test centre in your country (https://www.onset.de/testzentren-termin/).
- Goethe-Institut: Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Österreich-Institut: ÖSD-Zertifikat B1, grade at least ‘gut’ // Zertifikat B2, grade at least ‘gut’
- Germanistik Bachelor degree (or comparable degree) from one of the universities of the EMLex programme
How to Apply:
Note: If you are selected for a scholarship, placed on the reserve list or enrolled as a self-funded student, your data may be used for purposes of evaluating the Erasmus Mundus Programmes by funding agencies.
- Fill out the application form on the computer and sign it by hand.
- Send the application form together with the following documents to emlex-erasmusmundus-at-fau.de..
- Pay attention to the following requirements:
- All documents have to be in PDF format.
- The file should not exceed 4 MB (if so you might have to zip the files).
- The documents have to be in the following order:
(1) application form
(2) motivation letter (2 pages max., in English or German). In the letter you should respond to the following aspects:
- Explain the reasons why you wish to study the EMLex Master Programme, express your expectations and your own contribution. In addition, you should state what you plan to do with the EMLex master degree.
- Report your experiences with scientific or practical lexicography that you have already made and why you have an interest in lexicography.
- Explain your choice of the preferred home university (while your preferences will be taken into account as far as possible, the final assignment will be made to best fit your study needs).
- Answer the following question: Which lexicographic project would you like to realize in your home country if you had the chance to do so?
(3) certificate of HEI degree
(4) a transcript of academic records
(5) language certificates
(6) a copy of your identity document
- PDF files which do not have the requested order (1)-(6), are incomplete or too big will not be considered!
- If your original documents are in a language other than English or German, please also submit certified translations.
- Please note that we cannot return any documents that you send us.
- Students starting the programme in 2019/20 cannot study in Stellenbosch as well as in Santiago de Compostela.
- Students from China: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle des Kulturreferats of the German Embassy in Beijing.
- Students from Vietnam: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle at the German Embassy in Hanoi.
- Students from Mongolia: In case of acceptance to the EMLex Programme, please also have your documents certified by the Akademische Prüfstelle at the German Embassy in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.