The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and United Kingdom Research and Innovation (UKRI) are invited applicants for its Innovation Fellowships. The fellowships are available for International researchers.
The funding is to support fellows whose research can help to achieve the aims of the Industrial Strategy and will lead to either short or long-term economic benefit for the UK.
User Review( votes)
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is a British Research Council that provides government funding for grants to undertake research and postgraduate degrees in engineering and the physical sciences (including mathematics, artificial intelligence and computer science), mainly to universities in the United Kingdom.
United Kingdom Research and Innovation (UKRI) is an organisation in the United Kingdom which exists to direct research funding
Course Level: Fellowships are available for researchers.
Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the following fields:
- Robotics and artificial intelligence systems.
- High Productivity Services through Specialised Artificial Intelligence.
- Development and manufacture of batteries for the electrification of vehicles.
- Digital manufacturing.
- Quantum technologies.
- Cheap and clean energy technologies.
- Integrated and sustainable cities – including low-energy buildings.
- New approaches to data science.
- In addition to the areas above, we would like to support Fellowships leading excellent engineering and physical sciences to research able to make a contribution to other areas of the developing Industrial Strategy including space research, advanced sustainable agriculture, leading-edge healthcare technologies and specific areas of interest to other Research Councils. Further information about the areas that are of interest to other councils and areas that sit at the interface of disciplines are available in Annex 2.
Award: Fellowships will cover the following:
- Up to £38.9 million is available for this call. EPSRC expects to fund 65-85 Fellows. Additional funding of up to £1.6 million from AHRC, a minimum of £1 million from BBSRC and up to £0.4 million from ESRC will be available for research at specified interfaces.
Number of Awards: Not Known
The award can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the opportunity :
- This call is aimed at innovative individuals in the early stages of their research career either in academia or industry, including but not limited to: experienced postdoctoral researchers, those with a junior academic post or researchers currently in the industry who would wish to transition to academia. We would not typically expect applicants to qualify as an early career researcher if they hold a senior position.
- Applicants are expected to hold a PhD by the start date of the fellowship or have equivalent experience. There are no eligibility rules based on years of postdoctoral experience or whether the applicant holds a permanent academic position.
- Consideration will be given to applicants who have taken a non-standard career path after their primary degree. Proposals are also welcomed from candidates who wish to re-establish themselves after a career break or other period of absence from active research.
- If applicants are employed part-time then they can apply for the Fellowship to be held part-time and extend pro-rata at the time of application.
- There are no nationality restrictions imposed by EPSRC although the fellowship should be held at an eligible UK Higher Education Institution or eligible UK Independent Research Organisation. An intention of this programme is to attract global talent to the UK, so proposals from non-UK nationals are encouraged.
EPSRC Early Career Fellows are eligible for a Tier 1 Exceptional Promise visa route which offers an accelerated visa route.
- You may only submit a full proposal for one EPSRC fellowship in any 12 month period so please consider carefully when you choose to submit your proposal. If you are rejected at the outline stage then you will still be eligible to apply for another EPSRC fellowship.
- For information on the eligibility of organisations and individuals to receive EPSRC funding, see the EPSRC Funding Guide
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible for the fellowship.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a PhD degree.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must be fluent in English.
How to Apply: Applicants can apply via online:
- You should prepare and submit your proposal using the Research Councils’ Joint electronic Submission (Je-S) System.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is November 9, 2017.