The International Institute is providing the Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship for talented students across the USA.
The purpose of the program is to enrich the nation‡s pool of area and international specialists. Applicants should be planning to use their training to teach, to serve in government or international agencies, or to engage in other work that advances American understanding of other countries.
Golden opportunity for US students.
User Review( votes)
The U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships program provides academic-year and summer fellowships to support undergraduate and graduate students with training in modern foreign languages and related area or international studies.
- To apply for a FLAS fellowship, students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- New and continuing graduate students in all disciplines may apply for academic-year and summer awards.
- Undergraduate students must be studying the target language at the intermediate or advanced level.
- The academic-year fellowship requires that students take one language and one area studies course for a letter grade each term during the award period.
- Summer fellowships are for intensive language study only.
- Fellowship recipients must be engaged in full-time study for the duration of their awards and must submit reports on the courses they pursue and the progress they make.
Nationality: US applicants are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: All FLAS applications must be completed online. The application is available through the International Institute centres.
- Entrance Requirement: Continuing UCLA graduate students and continuing undergraduates may apply for the academic year and/or summer awards. Incoming graduate students and undergraduate transfer students may apply for academic year awards.
- English Language Requirement: Canadian and American universities expect strong English language abilities from their students. They want to be sure that applicants can cope with the demands of degree-level study. Study Group‡s dedicated university pathway programs give all the support that need to excel in their chosen Canadian or American degree.
- The academic-year graduate awards provide a $15,000 stipend as well as $18,000 in tuition and fees**
- The academic-year undergraduate award provides a stipend of $5,000 and up to $10,000 in fees and tuition
- Summer awards provide a $2,500 stipend, up to $5,000 in fees and tuition
Application Deadline: February 24, 2020