The University of Maryland is offering free online course on DNA Sequences: Alignments and Analysis. One of the jobs of a bioinformatician is to help determine where these changes are in a DNA sequence.
In this 8 week course, applicants will learn how to align and analyze DNA sequences using web and software based tools to find mutations and other anomalies in genes and genomic sequences. The course will start on May 31, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours pw
Subject: Biology and Life Science
Institution: University of Maryland and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $
Session: Course Starts on May 31, 2017
The USM consists of three Research Universities, three Historically Black Institutions, four Traditional Comprehensive Institutions, two Regional Education Centers; one Specialized Research institution, and one “Virtual” Institution specializing in online and distance education, and a system office.
About This Course
Gene sequences and the rest of the genome play an important role in determining how an organism functions normally and reacts when situations change. DNA sequences can also be used to determine relationships between organisms and form the underpinnings of the Tree of Life.
Why Take This Course?
In this course, part of the Bioinformatics Micro Masters program, you will learn about the theory and algorithms behind DNA alignments, practice doing alignments manually, and then perform more complicated alignments using web and software-based approaches.
- Synthesize and analyze biological big data
- Theory behind alignment algorithms and how they operate
- Examine the roles mutations play in cellular processes
Dr. James Coker
Dr. Coker is an associate professor and the program chair for the Bioinformatics and Biotechnology Regulatory Affairs Specializations within the Biotechnology Master’s Program at the University of Maryland University College.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant signs up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)