Arizona State University is offering free online course on English Composition: Research and Writing. This eight-week is intended for individuals who want to learn more about how to create change in the world through research and writing.
In this course, applicants will learn how to design, develop, research, and execute a writing project from inception to completion in this credit-eligible course. The course will start on October 15, 2021.
Course At A Glance
Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 18 hours pw
Institution: Arizona State University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes
Session: Starts on October 15, 2021
Arizona State University has developed a new model for the American Research University, creating an institution that is committed to excellence, access and impact. As a comprehensive public research university, ASU is measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities they serve.
About This Course
This writing course introduces students to discourse, research, and research writing for the purpose of proposing solutions to problems. Rather than learning about these subjects in the abstract, students will learn by engaging with local problems and issues in their communities. To achieve this, students will learn how to:
- Develop an actionable central research question
- Propose a research project
- Conduct primary and secondary research
- Design an action-oriented research project for web publication
Why Take This Course?
In this course applicants will learn how to design, develop, research, and execute a writing project from inception to completion in this credit-eligible course.
- Rhetorical Knowledge
- Critical Reading, Thinking, and Composing
- Writing Processes
- Knowledge of Writing Conventions
Adam Pacton earned his MA in Literary Studies from East Tennessee State University and received his PhD in Rhetoric and Composition from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Since childhood, Duane Roen has been interested in how people learn to write. Since his days as an undergraduate, he has been interested in how teachers can help students learn to write.
- Proficiency in English
- ENG101x English Composition is recommended but not required
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)