Rochester Institute of Technology is offering a free online course on Gameplay Programming for Video Game Designers. All video game designers should have a solid understanding of what programmers can and cannot do, how assets interact with code, what algorithmic thinking is and how to take advantage of the capabilities of different engines and tools.
In this five-week course, applicants will learn how to create the best game play by understanding algorithmic thinking in simple programming problems and applying it to game design. This course will start on 25 March 2019.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Rochester Institute of Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $49
Session: Course Starts on 25 March 2019
Rochester Institute of Technology is home to leading creators, entrepreneurs, innovators and researchers. Founded in 1829, RIT enrolls more than 18,600 students in more than 200 career-oriented and professional programs, making it among the largest private universities in the U.S.
About This Course
Some video game designers are programmers in their own right, and may have even come from that background to a designer’s role.
Why Take This Course?
All video game designers should have a solid understanding of what programmers can and cannot do how assets interact with code, what algorithmic thinking is and how to take advantage of the capabilities of different engines and tools.
- The different types of programming and skill sets required for video game designers
- The common processes of programming
- How different control structures work
- How assets make their way onto a video game and how they interact with the code
Al Biles is a Professor in the School of Interactive Games and Media at Rochester Institute of Technology where he teaches interactive design, algorithmic problem solving and digital audio production. His research interests include GenJam, his genetic algorithm that learns to improvise jazz, and the software sideman in his virtual quintet.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)