The Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is offering free online course on Healthcare in India: Strategic Perspectives. This five-week course is intended for those with some experience in the healthcare business.
In this course, applicants will learn about the unique contradictions and challenges that define Indian healthcare. The course will start on August 9, 2016.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 5 weeks
Effort: 3-4 hours per week
Subject: Business & Management
Institution: The Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $25
Session: Starts on August 9, 2016
Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is one of the top management schools in India. We build leaders through holistic, transformative and innovative education. IIMB offers long-duration programs, executive education and specialized courses in areas such as entrepreneurship and public policy. It believes in the disruptive power of technology and are committed to leveraging digital technology to make high quality management education accessible to everyone across the globe. IIMB will launch MOOCs on topics ranging from core management subjects to advanced and specialized offerings.
About This Course
The Indian healthcare sector is garnering global attention. Be it the evolution of Indian pharmaceutical firms, low-cost hospitals or disruptive start-ups, the sector is a laboratory of myriad market forces impacting innovation, choices and societal welfare. At the same time, India continues to battle with an inadequate healthcare infrastructure and a rising disease burden.
This business course applies a strategic lens to the sector’s submarkets including hospitals, pharmaceutical firms and diagnostic equipment providers. Applicants will examine the role of disruptive innovation and the ways in which public policy shapes the evolution of healthcare markets. With this framework, they will be able to evaluate which employer to join, which healthcare stocks to invest in, where the exciting business opportunities lie, and what are the unmet needs in this sector that can be addressed by a startup.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. This MOOC will be offered with Video Transcripts in English. Applicants can get a verified certificate.
- Basic concepts in strategy applied to sub-markets within the healthcare sector
- Competitive advantage and the role of resources in differentiating the successes from the failures
- Corporate leader perspectives on the evolution of the various sub-markets in the sector
- Hands-on experience of managerial dilemmas facing the sector through mini-case discussions
Chirantan Chatterjee is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Corporate Strategy and Policy at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB), where he held the Young Faculty Research Chair between 2012 and 2015.
- Some experience in the healthcare business
- Basic mathematics concepts
Week 1: Strategy Foundations 101
Week 2: The Indian Hospital Sector
Week 3: The Indian Pharmaceutical Sector
Week 4: The Indian Medical Devices and Diagnostics Sector
Week 5: Disruptive Innovation and Regulation in Indian Healthcare
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)