The University of Texas at Austin is offering a free online course on Introduction to AP* Human Geography. This course is specifically designed for students who are interested in learning more about the AP Human Geography course before enrolling, supplementary support and exam review, and for use in blended learning classrooms.
In this 14 week course, applicants will explore key issues in human geography, including population, migration, cultural patterns and more as you prepare for the AP exam. The course will start on September 1, 2017.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 14 weeks
Effort: 2-3 hours pw
Subject: Social Science
Institution: The University of Texas at Austin and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $ 49
Session: Course Starts on September 1, 2017
The University of Texas at Austin is the top-ranked public university in a nearly 1,000-mile radius and is ranked in the top 25 universities in the world. Students have been finding their passion in life at UT Austin for more than 130 years, and it has been a member of the prestigious AAU since 1929. UT Austin combines the academic depth and breadth of a world research institute (regularly ranking within the top three producers of doctoral degrees in the country) with the fun and excitement of a big-time collegiate experience.
About This Course
Are you interested in what’s happening in your global community? Explore economic, social, political, and environmental issues through the lens of geography.
By exploring human influences and patterns, you can better understand the world around you, make predictions, and propose solutions to current issues. In this course, you will investigate geographic perspectives and analyze historical and current patterns of migration, population, the political organization of space, agriculture, food production, land use, industrialization and economic development.
Why Take This Course?
This course is specifically designed for students who are interested in learning more about the AP Human Geography course before enrolling, supplementary support and exam review, and for use in blended learning classrooms.
- how to interpret maps and analyze geospatial data
- ways to determine implications of associations and networks among phenomena in places
- How to recognize relationships among patterns and processes at different scales of analysis.
- methods to define regions and regionalization processes
- strategies for analyzing interconnections among places
- How the AP* Human Geography exam is structured and helpful strategies for doing your best.
Ms. Browning is the Social Studies Learning Specialist at University of Texas High School. She has over 14 years of experience in education, most recently having taught AP Human Geography and Pre-AP World Geography at Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas. She was the founder and director of their award-winning Model United Nations geopolitical team for three years and has presented at numerous conferences on Social Studies teacher development.
Advanced secondary school (high school) level.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)