Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is offering free online course on Introduction to Mobile Application Development using Android. In this six-week course, applicants will learn the basics of mobile application development using Android as the platform.
The course will introduce you to the basics of the Android platform, Android application components, Activities and their lifecycle, UI design, Multimedia, 2D graphics and networking support in Android. The course starts on April 24, 2018.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 6 weeks
Effort: 3-5 hours pw
Subject: Computer Science
Institution: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course starts on April 24, 2018
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) (www.ust.hk) is a world-class international research university excelling in science, technology and business as well as humanities and social science. Internationally renowned for its academic rigor and accomplishments, the University promotes interdisciplinary studies and provides holistic education, nurturing well-rounded graduates with a strong entrepreneurial spirit, innovative thinking and relevant skills to thrive in a knowledge economy.
About This Course
This course covers the following topics:
- Android platform and the Android Studio IDE
- Android components, Activities and their lifecycle, Intents
- UI Design: Widgets and Layouts, UI Events, Event Listeners
- 2D graphics: Canvas/Drawing using a view
- Multimedia: Audio playback and MediaPlayer
- Network support: AsyncTask, HttpURLConnection
Why Take This Course?
Join us on a gentle journey through the mobile application development landscape, using Android as the platform. Along the way we will learn to use Android Studio, the integrated development environment (IDE) for Android apps. This course is intended for students who have some prior programming experience.
- Describe the basic components of an Android application.
- Define the lifecycle methods of Android application components.
- Describe the basics of event handling in Android.
- Describe the basics of graphics and multimedia support in Android.
- Demonstrate basic skills of using an integrated development environment (Android Studio) and Android Software Development Kit (SDK) for implementing Android applications.
- Demonstrate through a simple application the understanding of the basic concepts of Android.
Jogesh K Muppala
Jogesh is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the School of Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Duke University in 1991.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)