Harvard University is offering free online course to learn Judaism through its scriptures. This religion course introduces students to the diversity of the ever-expanding Jewish canon and the equally diverse ways of reading it.
Over four week course, applicants will learn about the key beliefs and practices of Judaism through an examination of its sacred texts and their interpretation. The course will start on August 2, 2016.
User Review( votes)
Course At A Glance
Length: 4 weeks
Effort: 6-10 hours pw
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50
Session: Starts on August 2, 2016
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally.
This online platform edX provides online courses from the world’s best universities. EdX courses are open to everyone. All you need is access to a computer with a current browser, an Internet connection, and, of course, a desire to learn.
Harvard University and HarvardX are committed to maintaining a safe and healthy educational and work environment in which no member of the community is excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination or harassment in our program.
About This Course
For over two millennia, Jews throughout the entire world have been committed to reading, interpreting, and living their scriptures. But what are the Jewish scriptures? When were they written? And why are they relevant in the 21st century?
This religion course introduces students to the diversity of the ever-expanding Jewish canon and the equally diverse ways of reading it. It will examine how Jews, ancient and modern, drew inspiration and guidance from the traditional texts while simultaneously reinterpreting their contents in light of new circumstances. The religion we call “Judaism” emerges at the nexus of text, interpretation, and lived tradition.
Why Take This Course?
This is a free online course. Applicants can pursue a Verified Certificate to highlight the knowledge and skills they gain.
Whether you are a long-time student of the Jewish scriptures or a complete newcomer, this course will give you a new understanding of the fascinating roles that sacred texts have played in the rich history of Judaism.
- The diversity of Jews and Judaism
- Key facts about the primary texts of the Jewish canon
- The role that scripture has played and continues to play in the lives of Jews
- Why the sacred texts of Judaism continue to matter in the 21st century
Littauer Professor of Hebrew Literature and Philosophy in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
Matthew Hass is a PhD candidate in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations at Harvard University.
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)