Harvard University is offering free online course on Masterpieces of World Literature. This literature course explores how great writers refract their world and how their works are transformed when they intervene in our global cultural landscape today.
In this twelve-week course, applicants will embark on a global journey to explore the past, present, and future of World Literature. The course will start on March 1, 2017
User Review( vote)
Course At A Glance
Length: 12 weeks
Effort: 5-7 hours per week
Institution: Harvard University and edx
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $99
Session: Course Starts on March 1, 2017
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. Harvard faculty are engaged with teaching and research to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
About This Course
This literature course explores how great writers refract their world and how their works are transformed when they intervene in our global cultural landscape today.
No national literature has ever grown up in isolation from the cultures around it; from the earliest periods, great works of literature have probed the tensions, conflicts, and connections among neighboring cultures and often more distant regions as well.
Focusing particularly on works of literature that take the experience of the wider world as their theme, this course will explore the varied artistic modes in which great writers have situated themselves in the world, helping us to understand the deep roots of today’s intertwined global cultures.
- The history of World Literature
- How literary works and books are transformed by cultural transmission
- How to critically analyze literary works
- The significance of major technological advances in writing
Ernest Bernbaum Professor of Literature, Harvard University
Byron and Anita Wien Professor of Drama and of English and Comparative Literature, Harvard University
How To Join This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register Now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once applicant sign up for a course and activate their account, click on the Log In button on the edx.org homepage and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)