Applications are invited for the Kennedy-Lugar YES Study Abroad Program available for American high school students and recent graduates to study for one academic year abroad. The program offers 65 full scholarships in countries with significant Muslim populations.
The YES Abroad program is a cultural exchange between the U.S. and countries with significant Muslim populations. The YES Abroad participants serve as “youth ambassadors” in their host communities, promoting mutual understanding by forming lasting relationships with their host families and friends. At the forefront of citizen diplomacy, participants will develop the skills necessary to be a leader in the global community.
A valuable offer for US high school students to go abroad for study.
User Review( votes)
Participants live with a host family, attend a local high school, acquire leadership skills and engage in activities to learn about the host country’s society and values; they also help educate others about American society and values.
Study Subject(s): YES Abroad students serve as “youth ambassadors” of the United States, promoting mutual understanding by forming lasting relationships with their host families and communities.
Course Level: Scholarships are awarded for high school students and recent graduates to study for one academic year abroad.
Scholarship Provider: U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
Scholarship can be taken at: For the 2020-2021 academic year, YES Abroad students may live in the following countries: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Philippines, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia.>
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- 15-18.5 years of age at the start of the program
- Enrolled in high school (including home school) at the time of application
- For the following countries, prior French skills are required: Morocco, Senegal
- The YES Abroad program seeks applicants of all racial, ethnic, religious, socio-economic backgrounds, and sexual orientations.
- Scholarship Open for International Students: Citizens of the US can apply for this scholarship.
What does it cover?
- The YES Abroad scholarship covers costs related to: room and board for the In-Person Selection Event (for semi-finalists); round-trip airfare, room and board for the Pre-Departure Orientation; round-trip airfare between the participant’s home region and community abroad; in-country support; cultural activities; school tuition (where applicable); room and board with a host family; secondary medical benefits; visa fees; and a modest stipend.
- Number of awards: The program offers 65 full scholarships to American students nationwide.
- Duration of award(s): Full scholarships are awarded to study for one academic year.
How to Apply: The 2020-2021 application is now open. Applications must be submitted online.
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is December 3, 2019, at 11:59 pm ET.